Does anyone have beamshots of TWO* vs. TXO* Lux3s?

wintermute

Enlightened
Since I have never seen the 2 compared, I am wondering what the difference in color temp is. I have SYOK and TWOJs, and while the *YO* is a little too blue for my tastes, the *WO* seems a little too warm. Maybe *XO* is the sweet spot for me. Does anyone have any beamshots? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Krit

Enlightened
X0 will give a little brightness felling but W0 will give a little bit warmmer than X0.

akula88

Enlightened
I'm not so sure if I captured it right.
I like my *XO* tints, in fact, I'll be having a third one around early next month. *WO* is exhibit yellowish tint; while I had a *WA* that was pinkish. Again this seemed to be a lottery.
txokvstwok4gd.jpg

My L1 head had been modded with a TXOJ and a so17xa reflector. L1 bias at high is about 360ma.
TWOK is an Aleph-LE hosted on a turned-down Mc20R reflector (Chop).

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wonka187 said:
Since I have never seen the 2 compared, I am wondering what the difference in color temp is. I have SYOK and TWOJs, and while the *YO* is a little too blue for my tastes, the *WO* seems a little too warm. Maybe *XO* is the sweet spot for me. Does anyone have any beamshots? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny, thanks for the shots. Much appreciated....

I am in the exact same thought pattern as you. I was wondering about the *X0* colors vs. the *WO* or even the *WA* colors.

From a color temp perspective (in Kelvin),

WO = 6050K
WA = 6300K
XO = 6700K
YO = 8000K

Thanks.

Hopefully others will pipe in and give us some beamshots to display the differences.

Curtis

*Retired*
Consider that the parts are binned at a die temperature that is much cooler than they would be in normal running conditions (25C die temp). Also remember they are binned at 700mA.

Even with a 25C ambient, and a perfect infinite heatsink, a Luxeon III ran at the 1000mA level, the die would rise to 85C. This could easily shift the Luxeon well outside of what it was binned at....then there is on top of that, how well it is actually heatsinked, and how well that heat is transferred into the air. Or for some of the small flashlights, you need a human hand to heatsink the heat away, but the human hand is 37C This would mean the die is now at 97C....

On top of this, if you are running at the 1000mA level, there is further shift on top of the 700mA binning level.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Does anyone have beamshots of TWO* vs. TXO* Lu

Maybe... just Maybe...

This explains why my two XM3, Chopped KL3 and Lambda 3W pill are all pretty dang white....

All are driven in the 600-750mA range! I know TWOK is in the Lambda and I THINK in the KL3.

Maybe drive amps is the key!!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

All the W0's I've seen have a "pink" ish tint when viewed by themselfs. But on objects it looks white, with enough red to light up the reds good. I'll find out how the x0's are soon when I mod my next light. (lux'es are in hand)

wintermute

Enlightened

Well Issac, after you get them installed in your next light, post some comparison pics. I'd really love to see beamshots with both of the LEDs in the same host running the same driver. Matter of fact, I'd love to see beamshots of all 8 tints of white Lux3s, in a row, same power configuration, same reflector. Maybe 3rd_shift could do that in his mags or something. I saw his pics of various QIIIs sorted by color. Obviously there will be slight variations between different LEDs of the same rated color tint, but a comparison of all 8 in the same pic could be really informative.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Make sure that you shoot a perfectly white wall and that the camera white balance is perfect and that the compressed file keeps the right color and that your display is set to daylight white! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

JanCPF

Enlightened

Yes, and that the white balance in your brain is set to 12 o'clock noon on a clear sunny day close to the equator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

have you tried WA color before, wonka?
if WO is too warm for you, then XO (being more greenie/yellowie than WO) should be even warmer to your taste. you need something cooler like WA. just my thought

wintermute

Enlightened

I thought that the XO color tint was closer to the blue colors then the green\yellow. As far as WA goes, I have been told that it has a slightly more pink tint then the WO, which I'm not sure if Id like. Then again, I might have to get every color and try it out myself.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

The X0 can be several tints too. Remember these new binning structures are meant to narrow it down a bit, but there is still variation in where it overlaps.

The WA should be more pink in most cases. Take a look at this image from dat2zip's website
Luxeon_Binning_Structure_on_CIE_diagram.png

So the X0 could be green, white, yellow, purplish, or blueish if you want to be fair. I'd say it'd be colder than a W0 generally, but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've found that most of the luxeons in the "center" bins are just varying shades of white. The TX1?, TWO?, TXO?, and TWA? bins can get pretty close to each other.

You really can't compare two luxeons side by side, when you do, they bring out the extremes in each other. You have to view them by themselves and just decide if the tint is something that you like.

You also have to consider that the collimator being used plays a part in the tints that you see. The McR27 reflector is much less forgiving than the McR20 or 38. This is just because of the amount of texturing used to blend the beam. I've had some luxeons that looked down right nasty coming out of an NX05 or even a 27mm reflector, but were more than acceptable when topped with a McR20.

Generally speaking, the TWO? bin is the whitest of the white, but comparing it to a cooler binned luxeon will make it seem yellowish or even a bit green.

All in all, I've found the TXO? bins to be the safest. They do very well with whatever collimator you may be using and I've NEVER seen a greenie TXO?.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Comparing a W0 by itself I find it pinkish. That is on the ones I have. Other's W0's may be different, as they would be from different batches.

The Y0/YA? Can't remember, has a Cyan (blue green) tint to it. It makes the black objects of my car look aged, like antique equipment or something. The W0 looks normal though. So some tints you do notice other than on a white wall and can adversly affect your perception of color. But it still looks better than typical hotwires. The Y0/YA is my emergency light so I don't use it for tasks or inspecting things.

Sounds like my TX0K's will make a good light! Can't wait!

wintermute

Enlightened

This has turned out to be pretty informative. I really like hearing peoples opinions about the different tints. I think that, like Issac, the XO will be the sweet spot for me.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe I'm just completely whacked, but I like the warmer tints for color rendition. I just plain see better with them. I tend to use TX1?s and TWO?s in my outdoor lights.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, you are whacked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I prefer the HID tints in my FT-3C and LionHeart myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps others see reds or blues better than others? I see reds/yellows all too easily. When I use a colder light I get better contrast and things look sharper. But I can see blue and uv down pretty far too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

*Retired*

Of course, different reflector coatings will also tint the beam.

Take a look at what even a bare aluminum reflector coating does:
http://www.rmico.com/optics/opticCatalog.asp?mainID=10&subID=&coatID=29

You should see what a common nickel or chrome reflector do if you think that is bad. Some of those get below 40% losses in the reflector with holes you could nearly drive a rainbow through.

Then there is Lexan and Glass which both add a tad of tint, or a fella can go and plurge for a UCL, which will also reduce the losses at the same time.