Another project light

Gman

Enlightened
I was searching the local Walmart for the elusive Legend LX (no joy) and happened upon
the Garrity "steel beam" stainless lights mentioned here. Well, bought me a two AA model for $8 and decided to mess with it.

Found that three 123s fit perfectly in it without modification, also found either of the P90/P91 lamp/relectors will fit right in it with a little work. Presto, a nice stainless steel 9P clone with a clickie locking tail cap for about $26 (w/o batteries) using genuine SF stuff where it counts.

Or you can call it an "E3" if you like.

If one could find a T1 bi-pin lamp for the 9 volts, one could just replace the stock lamp.
These Garritys have a multi faceted reflector, but the SF P90/91 produces a nicer beam. This torch stuff is becoming a curse! :)

Chas

Newly Enlightened
Gman,

Watch that tailcap with push on/off and twist lock/unlock it is very poor plastic and I had one that the assembly inside the tailcap switch came apart and I took it back to Wal-Mart.

Good Luck with it.

Best Regards,

Gman

Enlightened
Yeah, it's kinda flimsy, isn't it? The other thing I don't like about it is that one should lock it during the "off" cycle because if you do it on the "on" cycle and it pops out, it will run down the batteries.
Hard to describe, but if you do it it makes sense. Geez, hope it doesn't burn up from the higher current. Still testing it for durability, so far it works pretty well.

Gman

Enlightened
No, the SF caps won't fit because they are
"female", threaded on the ID. The Garrity uses a male cap. Two things I don't like about this rig: 1)That SS body makes it quite a bit heavier. 2)It's also a slippery bugger, no knurling or rubberizing.

It's noticeably difficult to hold firmly, compared to a SF or Scorpion, but it's the same smaller OD as an E1/E2, compared to the larger OD of the 9P.

It has a battery "magazine", kinda like the M6 and it's this detail that makes the ID large enough for 123s when the magazine is not used. It's almost as if the body was really made for 123s and it's the magazine allows the use of AAs.

I do like the performance of a 9P in a package the OD of an Executive but I'll have to come up with a way to increase the grip on it without ruining the "look" of the stainless steel.

When I get all the bugs out I'll let you know and if you wish, you can then forward me a P90/P91 and I'll build you up one.