Lamp upgrades for cheapy lights... bring it!

Freshman

Newly Enlightened
I needs some bulb/lamp upgrade advice for the following lights...
<font color="red">
- Maglite 3D

- Coleman 2D

- Princeton Tec 40

- Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA
</font>
Radio Shack seems to have a good selection of lamps.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

sniper

Enlightened
Welcome, Freshman. This is a neat place to be.
I don't have any experience with the Princeton Tec or the Propolymer, but I added a Xenon bulb to my new Mag 3 D cell, and it increased the brightness about an observable 15-20%. If they make Xenon bulbs for 2D cells, it would likely increase the brightness a like amount.

I am now waiting for my heatsink and emitter, to see if I can make the Mag sit up and SHINE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

From the LED replacement light section at Flashlightreviews.com, The Diamond Lambertian regulated replacement bulbs improved the output of a 2 D cell light by a significant amount. The 3 D cell light output didn't improve much, but the service life/battery run time are said to be increased.

I'm considering the 2D replacement bulb for a service issue angle head light, if I don't buy the UK 4AA LED angle head light. It looks like it may do as good a job, weigh and cost less. More later. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freshman, to really upgrade you lights, which you have a nice selection to mod, you must upgrade the batteries. Stock alkalines just cannot deliver the current for any length of time for a good result. For a simple mod, you can try using 4 AA Nimh cells in your PT Tec 40 and a Mag krypton 3 cell bulb. The result will be moons ahead of what you've got. A Mag Xenon 4 cell bulb isn't bad either. The Nimh cells will be able to drive these bulbs at their rated current.

As for the Mag 3D, there are a plethora of mods to do to really kick @ss with it. The results will yield, easily, 10+ times the output. Again, Nimh cells and suitable carriers are required. The hotter bulb combos will also need a glass lens and AL reflector to prevent melting. But, you'll truly have a torch in your hands.

Welcome to CPF!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easiest thing you can do to upgrade a 3D Mag is to make sure you are running a Krypton or vacuum bulb (not Xenon) and put 4 C cells in there instead of the 3 D cells.

As Phaserburn said, on the Princeton, pop in a 3 cell Krypton bulb. The stock Tec40 is about comparable to a 3D Maglite. With 4 cells running a 3 cell bulb, it will put out more light than a 4D Mag.

I'd keep the Streamlight as it is for when you don't need crazy output.

For the Coleman, I'd give it to your best buddy and buy yourself something else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif