Newbie looking for backpacking headlight

duddy1

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire P2 so i think i will be covered for throw so i was looking a the priceton tec series, ie the yukon hl and corona. Was kind of wondering if i should still go for the combo 1W and 3 leds or a good straight up led. IF i am carring my P2 I don't really need a 1W?? or do I???

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Pelican 2630 headlight that I like a lot. 3AA cell battery pack rides in back, balancing the light unit. The light has three brightness settings for its 1 watt Lux. I'm pretty happy with it. Take a look in the Electroluminescent/Headlamps/Hybrids forum for more info on headlamps.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Yukon HL is nice with its dual output, and esp with the AA battery setup, you get a very decent runtime. I'm more a sucker for smaller setups, so if you don't need a lot of throw from your headlamp and would like to save on space, look at something like the Petzl Tikka Plus or Zipka Plus. Gives long runtime for short distance illumination. I personally prefer the PT EOS, small size and decent illumination for short to medium distance. Runtime is quite good as well for 3AAAs.
Well, since you have a handheld light for spotting longer distances already anyway, the above mentioned should pretty much cover most of your other backpacking needs, I think...

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Princenton Tec Aurora! It is light, water proof, takes three AAAs and if you shop around you could pick one up for $20. With three LEDs it is bright enough around camp, in the tent and even for some night hiking.