Which 2D Mod (aka 1318 vs 1185)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK... I've been searching and reading but the options are enough to make a guy go cross-eyed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I want to build a reasonably bright incand mod in a 2D. Looking over the threads, I see the following as viable options:

1185 on 8AAs 817 bLu
1318 on 8AAs 530 bLu

I'm leaning towards an 8AA build, particularly the 1185. Is there a significant reason to go with a 6AA build instead? I have 1800 mAh batteries.

Basically I'm looking for a very significant step up from the 3x123+KPR112 in a shorter form factor than a 3D host. I know the 1185/8AA give me that. Will the 1318 on 8AAs give me that?

Runtime isn't highly important... At least not as important as bulb life.

There needs to be some sort of relative chart for all this stuff... Ginsing? There's TONS of information out there but it takes a LOT of searching.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Which 2D Mod (aka 1138 vs 1185)

The 1185 will be significantly brighter, but at the expense of runtime. The 1185 pulls more than 3 amps, the 1318 less than 2.and

Both are 9.6 volt lamps, so they will run well on that configuration, though the voltage drop off will make them dimmer and yellower than most of us like relatively soon. The 1318 will probably run for a good 1/2 hour before any drop off, while the 1185 will probably suck those cells down enough to notice in 15-20 minutes.

Either way, it is a HUGE step up from the regular bulbs!!

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

For small cell 7-cell setups, I like the WA01274 a lot. Great output, great whiteness.

For 8 cells any size, the WA01318 might be a good bet. The WA01185 is ok on 8 cells.

Wilkey

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool... actually, I was originally going to list some 6 or 7 cell options but deleted a bunch of it due to thinking some folks wouldn't read it all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about using 2 x Pila 150A in a Mag 2C with WA1274? I have not tried this myself, but I think this would be a great little light.

Sigbjoern

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've ordered 1318 AND 1185 for my 8AA mag so I'm going to try it both ways.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Dang. I ordered 1111, 1160 and 1185. Nobody hyped up the 1274!!!

You dirty rats!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can pick up some 1274 at www.light-edge.com

Sigbjoern

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had questioned what to run with 8xAA and was told to try the 1274 with 7xAA. I started to order some but I had a pretty good order of the others already and decided if I had the ability to run 8 cells I would skip trying to run 7 cells.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought (in the group buy) 1185's and 1318's. I figure I'll try those and go from there.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

The problem with the 8-cell config is that there are no decent bulbs that push to that range (8.4V push to 9.6V). So, if one is limited to 8 slots, I'd choose to go 7 cells with the WA01274 on overdrive. The WA01318 is nice at spec though.

Wilkey

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
OK... I've been searching and reading but the options are enough to make a guy go cross-eyed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I want to build a reasonably bright incand mod in a 2D. Looking over the threads, I see the following as viable options:

1185 on 8AAs 817 bLu
1318 on 8AAs 530 bLu

I'm leaning towards an 8AA build, particularly the 1185. Is there a significant reason to go with a 6AA build instead?[ I have b]1800 mAh[/b] batteries.

Basically I'm looking for a very significant step up from the 3x123+KPR112 in a shorter form factor than a 3D host. I know the 1185/8AA give me that. Will the 1318 on 8AAs give me that?

Runtime isn't highly important... At least not as important as bulb life.

There needs to be some sort of relative chart for all this stuff... Ginsing? There's TONS of information out there but it takes a LOT of searching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, cratz2 (hmm, me thinks my unofficial thread validation researcher is lurking right about now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif... it's an inside joke ). So you did not mention the brand of cells, how old they are...this can make a noticeable difference.

your are exactly correct, and Ginseng has had this ? conundrum in mind for many months now, but let his posting addiction get the best of him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif , so it's still a work in progress (like a certain umm, pictorial M*g contact cleaning thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Actually, bwaites and litho123 (and I guess Ginseng) would have a hard time believing I'm running a M*g6-cell xenon to wicked white brightness with a weird combo of old -but fewer than 50 or so cycles- Maha 1550ma & Energizer 2300ma cells). I have a questionable (many testing tools I need to upgrade/buy) 0.5 ohm reading for resistance in the 8AA-2D adapter that W. Hunt/S. Langan sell. But this combination of resistance, and some unknown voltage drop; drives the M*g6-cell perfectly (if you don't mind short lifespan). Nice narrow beam gives good throw, much better beam pattern than the cheaper Radio Shack KPR112 or 118. Next up, Carley 1499, throw in lousy, lousy Carley 912 bi-pin/PR base adapter (I'll post some picts in a few days) for more resistance, and you probably get close to rated 385lumens using the 8AA-2D setup I have; but with slightly larger hotspot, of better beam quality than the RadioShack bulbs. Either of these would give you less of the "wall of light flood" of the WA bulbs due to narrower filaments and less lumens. Less lumens output is not all that noticeable to me, but these won't impress most people as much, it's what I like.

Wonder when Ginny and I will get around to solving these battery/bulb combo recommendations for various M*g mods, maybe even beamshots to show the differences in hotspot size? Then his site will become more meaningful and useful...or even the Cookbook threads he started as a result of the hysteria over this bi-pin mod...what was it he called it "innovation" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . So now that you all have a bunch of bi-pin sockets, a bunch of bi-pin bulbs; you are now coming to the realization that there are other things to consider? What? You mean I can't just slap in a bi-pin socket, take the right bulb, and run it with just about any combination of batteries? Answer: sure, as long as you are not very demanding of sustained white/bright output. If that's what you want, then best get a voltage regulation circuit for your light--- js is offering one for the rather expensive SureFire M6 soon.

I kind of laughed at the mass hysteria over the M*g bi-pin into M*g PR light mod. Hundreds of these sold, without Ginseng or anyone posting results of what battery/bulb combinations work well/best for these---or at least if they did know, they posted in different places and did not specify their exactbulb/battery details/combinations. Now when the euphoria dies down, we get to eventually finding out what the other parameters are that make for a good combination. Since I already had the M*g switch assembly that I ordered from that source I discovered last year (and was not really, and am still not really excited about this mod--- still trying to think of a way to improve upon it), I was in no hurry; I can just sit back and wait while others make the mistakes and get disappointed with all these 'experimental' uses.

Or I suppose I could try and cajole Ginseng and others to try and figure out and reduce these unknowns into more understandable, informative presentations... while not exactly "Innovative"; it certainly would be helpful, don't you think?

For instance, in Giseng's Cookbook thread pt. 2, bwaites mentions that Carley 1499 with a M*g2C (no reason the Carley can't be used in a 2D, I do it ), but negelcted to mention the battery combination he uses, will cause instaflashing under certain circumstances /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Don't you think we should be telling people that their $5-7 bulbs will be 'toast' if they are used with in a certain manner with certain types of cells?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have come around to the beam quality and brightness of the stock MC bulb on 6AA NiMH. It took MUCHO effort to get the bulb centered, but now that I have...

Nice bright spot. Artifacts all working together to put the lumens in the area very near the spot. And of course the spill that M*g reflectors always give.

Only now I am deathly afraid of bumping the light out of perfect focus! I don't mean focus per say, I mean bulb centering!

It REALLY REALLY makes a difference!!!!

Try bulb centering... you'll LIKE it!

AW

Newly Enlightened
Anybody tried 8 X AA with a 6 cell xenon bulb? How's the brightness and heat issue?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AW said:
Anybody tried 8 X AA with a 6 cell xenon bulb? How's the brightness and heat issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could try a CL612 (6.0v). You can overdrive a krypton bulb a lot more than a xenon bulb. Calculated bulb lumens would be 953. I'm driving a CL606 (3.7v) with 2 123's with no problem.