Streamlight Septor

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
My power went out yesterday and what a pain it was trying to do things while holding a light. What do you guys think of the Septor.

StuU

Enlightened
The Septor is not a bad light. However, it is *very* old technology when compared with the Princeton-tec Corona or some of the new regulated luxeon headlamps such as the Nuwai, BD Zenith IQ, or Pelican 2630. Also, some people have had problems with the switch tho Streamlight will stand behind their warranty. I like the light myself but the selection of newer headlamps with advanced abilities is attractive-and at not much higher prices.

For a similar light that has 8 of the 5mm leds, various output levels, plus regulation- see the PT Corona.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The Septor is serviceable. It has a tilting head and three brightness levels. I prefer the Corona over the Septor too, but it is a larger headlamp. I have several headlamps and the Septor will do a pretty good job for most of my uses. I have three Septors, but I use a Princeton Tec Yulon HL, Princeton Tec Corona, Petzl Zipka, Pitzl Tikka depending on which I need. All of the headlamps I mentioned are serviceable.

My wife adopted the Septor for use while she is quilting. note: She has access to a lot of headlamps.

The one headlamp I really don't like is the Streamlight Trident. The incandescent lamp of the trident has a lot of artifacts in the beam.

StuU

Enlightened
Another problem with lights like the Septor is that it runs on 3AAAs and is unregulated. This means that the 3AAAs, a small battery, will put out good light for a few hours and then start a long slow decline in brightness. The regulated lights will maintain the same brightness levels thoughout the life of the battery.