Installing WA 1185's

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Installing WA 1185\'s

Ok, so i know you're not supposed to touch these things with your hands because the oil from your fingers will cause the lamp to have reduced life if it doesnt fail all together. So. How do you guys install them? Latex surgical glove?

Shane

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Installing WA 1185\'s

I grip them with a clean paper towel or a soft cloth.

Wilkey

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought I read that it was OK to touch these particular bulbs.

Here's a story about dumg-a## retailers: The lamp burned out in my Halogen lamp in my living room, so I took the bulb into the local hardware store to buy a new one. I pulled it out of my pocket and matched it up with the new one. As I was paying one of the workers said "hey, you aren't supposed to touch those with your fingers". I told him it was already burned out so I didn't think it would hurt to touch it. I already knew not to touch the new one.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reduced life?

Ah, no. Try EXPLOSION. The oil chemically changes the glass at high temperatures, weakening it, and causing containment failure at that particular spot. Exploding halogen lamps are not fun. No fun at all.

I wouldn't use surgical or latex gloves, either. Talc powder is probably not a good idea, although I don't know one way or the other. And I too, like Bill, always clean with isopropyl and let dry before first use.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

Echo, echo, echo...

I wipe them clean with isopropyl first, then install with clean cloth, then wipe clean again and wait to dry.