gmail question

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using gmail lately. I really like it but found that it can be confusing at the same time. It stacks some messages that I get. I am not sure I have a better discription than this. What looks like one message is actually several. Does anyone know a way to get it to unstack the messages. I found that I had some messages hiding under another message that I was not aware of.

Thanks
Jon

watt4

Enlightened
they have a number in parentheses [for example, (2) ] when there are more than one message. those are responses to emails , and the originals, too.

when you open one of those, there are multiple subject lines.

you can see all the messages by clicking on the "expand all" option on the right side.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the stacking, because if I an sending e-mails back and forth to somebody, with the same topic, it keeps them together.

Simply click the header or tab that shows, and it will expand that message. Click it again, and it will condense.

The most recent message or two are always expanded.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
gmail organizes "conversations" similar to how forums will "thread" posts by branching replies based on the message they were responding to.

code09

Enlightened
There will be a button or link rather on the side that says "Expand all"
It wont unstack it as you say, but at the least, it shows all the email msgs.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now use gmail exclusively because of this feature. I don't have to sort through numerous emails just to find the original message.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The funny thing is, if you configure a desktop e-mail client (such as Eudora) to use gmail's POP service, all these messages loose their linkages to each conversation and are separated into individual messages in your inbox.

(Say, GL, can you write a long sentence? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)