LOOK AT THIS

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can forget abt the shuffle. they're gone the minute it enters the store. i did manage to handle one @ an apple store. its very light. a must have, if they are available.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I really am beginning to like Apple. They sure do have some revolutionizing ideas. They are just not compatible that much stuff.

That computer is crazy small /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always been a Mac fan(atic?). Prefer to reward innovation instead of self serving business power strategies (i.e. MS).

And they last forever. Still have working Powerbook 150, Duodoc 2300, etc.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen PC's built that small. There are a few companies that make very small motherboards with integrated video and network. I had found a site that sold these and they had a lot of photos of different things that people had built these computers into- like stuffed animals, tin cans, etc. Fitting a slimline DVD drive is the hardest part.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty cool. Too bad it's Mac (no shocked and confrontational responses please).
Just saw in Popular Mechanics this morning where people modded their computers into various form factors. This one guy made a fully functional computer out of a 4 slice pop-up toaster. CD drive pops up from one of the slots. He said he wanted to use the 2 slice model but the motherboard wouldn't fit so he had to go to the 4 slice... LOL.

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:Man, I really am beginning to like Apple... They are just not compatible that much stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite the contrary - The Mac is pretty much the only platform that is compatible with most every other. It's rare that I come accross a file that I can't access whether it's UNIX, Windows, DOS, you name it. If you are referring to the fact that they don't run PC games & programs, well, no platforms can run PC software except PC's.....and Macs via an emulator. Using an emulator just means that the games won't run very fast because the emulators don't take advantage of the Mac's graphics card or hardware acceleration ( and an emulator has to translate all that foreign code on the fly, which is quite a feat in and of itself ). They run most of the same mainstream games that you're used to playing on the PC nice and fast though - just ones that have been programmed for the PowerPC chipset rather than x86. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And about the iPod shuffle....they ROCK. I just got mine this past Monday and I can't say enough good things about them. They're super light, super small, fairly cheap and they run an insanely long time before needing to be charged. Trust me, whether you dig Apple or just love the iPod line, you won't be disappointed if you pick one of these little jewels up - they're absolutely Awesome ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

iPod Shuffle Link...that really works

MacMini Link

lymph

Enlightened
What's the point of the iPod shuffle? Doesn't the regular iPod have a shuffle feature? Is it just a cheaper version of the iPod that doesn't let you choose the order for playback? I don't get it.

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lymph said:What's the point of the iPod shuffle?...Is it just a cheaper version of the iPod that doesn't let you choose the order for playback?

[/ QUOTE ]
- It's a lot more portable and much lighter than a full sized Pod - very nice if you take yours jogging.
- The battery lasts a LOT longer between charges ( Apple advertises 12 hours of playback....my buddy is on his 19th hour and still hasn't needed to recharge his yet ).
- More rugged - it doesn't have a HD to damage if you drop it - it's all flash memory.
- It can't skip....ever.
- It's a nice, lower cost alternative to a full blown Pod.

While it's not going to be the cat's meow for everyone, it nicely fills the lower price point, ultra-portable market niche. It's hard to see what the hype is all about until you actually get one in your hands and start to use it a bit. I absolutely love mine but didn't quite get the whole idea until I started using one - now it's practically the only player I use unless I want to take my whole mp3 collection with me on a trip or something. If you have a local Apple Store you can go to, or another retailer who will let you try the Pod out at the counter, I highly recommend giving it a test drive. You can let it playback in shuffle mode, alphabetical order or playback your favorite albums or playlists - you set it however you like and aren't too restricted to any specific method of playback.

PS - <font color="blue">lymph</font>, I love your avatar with the cat dragging away the 'x' gif - got a real kick out of that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

danielo_d

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mednanu said:
[snip]

PS - <font color="blue">lymph</font>, I love your avatar with the cat dragging away the 'x' gif - got a real kick out of that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, just noticed that! I saw the x and thought it was a bad picture link. Cool!
Wow, waita minute! it's an animated jpg?!?!? It's not .gif?!?!?

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mednanu said:

- It's a lot more portable and much lighter than a full sized Pod - very nice if you take yours jogging.
- The battery lasts a LOT longer between charges ( Apple advertises 12 hours of playback....my buddy is on his 19th hour and still hasn't needed to recharge his yet ).
- More rugged - it doesn't have a HD to damage if you drop it - it's all flash memory.
- It can't skip....ever.
- It's a nice, lower cost alternative to a full blown Pod.

While it's not going to be the cat's meow for everyone, it nicely fills the lower price point, ultra-portable market niche. It's hard to see what the hype is all about until you actually get one in your hands and start to use it a bit. I absolutely love mine but didn't quite get the whole idea until I started using one - now it's practically the only player I use unless I want to take my whole mp3 collection with me on a trip or something. If you have a local Apple Store you can go to, or another retailer who will let you try the Pod out at the counter, I highly recommend giving it a test drive. You can let it playback in shuffle mode, alphabetical order or playback your favorite albums or playlists - you set it however you like and aren't too restricted to any specific method of playback.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really nothing more than most flash players can do, and they have a display screen. As far as rechargable batteries, I can usa a AA in my I-river or a rechargable AA, the best of both worlds. If the shuffle's battery goes dead on a trip with no way to recharge, your done! Not to mention the price point, again most flash players can be purchased for about that same amount. To me, the shuffle is nothing special...I'll pass.