FDA , Lasers & Aviation

comozo

Enlightened
Finally found some quantified information on this subject. Within this site you'll find demonstrations [animated] of a 5mw laser pointer pointed at a cockpit. A diagram of expected results at various distances, plus many other questions concerning this particular subject and in general what are the acceptable criteria for shining a laser into the sky.

Pangolin

DaFiend

Enlightened
i Hope i don't stir up a hornets nest with this next quote from the the article....... (Mods, if the quote is too long i will shorten if required)

[ QUOTE ]
Q. Is it true that laser shows are the only laser users who are regulated in airspace?

A. Yes. Of all outdoor laser uses, the only one which is legally regulated is laser shows. All others are requested, but not required, to submit to FAA review. Here's how this works:

Only three laser uses are regulated by the U.S. federal government: medical, construction and laser shows. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires outdoor laser show operators to submit their shows to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for review. If the FAA objects, then FDA will not give permission (called a "variance") for the show.

Normally, the FAA has no authority or jurisdiction over outdoor lasers. Anyone can shine lasers into the air without seeking FAA approval. The FAA certainly encourages people to file reports (using Advisory Circular 70-1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif 2.2 MB download]). The FAA will review the reports and will send back a letter saying whether they object to the laser use.

However, no one is required to file this report with the FAA, and there are no penalties if you ignore an FAA letter of objection. The only exception is, of course, laser light shows. This is because if the FAA objects, then the FDA will not give its permission (variance).

[/ QUOTE ]

This how ever does not affect CPF's stance on posting pictures of lasers tearing apart the night sky. OK.

No complaining, no " so can we post pics???...." Just thought it was important to bring this up.

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Pangolin rocks. That is all.

I am glad to see images that are close to real (1/6 second shutter speed is my only real problem) as opposed to that one all the media has been "abusing" that looks like a >50 watt green cutting a line from ground through cockpit to sky.

Thanks for the link.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is my hope that in the future, after the dust has settled, we will have crystal clear and easy-to-understand laws to guide us. Untill then, we'll have to play on the safe side ...
bernhard