leadlight Mods

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
Ok, ive given up the idea of a PGL-III.

But there is a 350mw 808nm diode which fits the leadlight pointers so i'm thinking it will put out about 375-400 with a little xtra juice but i am having problems figuring out how i can supply this extra power to the diode through the existing driver board, any ideas?

Bengal

Newly Enlightened
The Leadlight driver board is about maxed for anything but very brief bursts. If you want to drive a laser diode at anything more than 400 ma for mre than 30 sec max you pretty much need an overhaul of the design.
you can change some things but dont expect too much longevity.
about enough to say wow that was neat, now time to buy another.
bottom line , anybody wants more than say 45 mw from a leadlight will have to play dr frankenstein and deplete your bank account.
or just get something big to begin with and deplete your bank account.
Either way the bank account suffers!

There is quite a few posts allready on the forum as how to modify .. anything more than that is just repetition.

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info, i'm working on a simple adustible current limiting circuit, from say 300-700mA, the one major problem is that i dont know if it will fit in the pen afterwards

LaserMod

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bengal said:
Thread with the driver schematic

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=804012&page=13&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=1

Moderators, Is there a way to put guides like these in a easly locatable location so one doesnt need to sort thru millions of posts?
thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

You could search for them and then click the 'Favorite Thread' link at the bottom left of the page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
anyone got any ideas on constant current supplies, i can get 25ma at 3v or 780ma at .05v using a 2 BC337 transistors but im not getting very far, my electronics knowledge is very limited, i'm just putting my thoaretical circuits into multisim 7

Bengal

Newly Enlightened
I have used the leadlight schematic as a guide, but replaced the driver transistor and .5 ohm resistor with better current carrying components and have had great results.. or you can also use a lm317 hooked up in constant current mode.. (5 whole components!) see sams laser faq