Difference between Scorpion and TL 2

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at both of these lights and need some input.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same bulb (inexpensive, but great output), same orange peel reflector.

The TL-2 is much more "grippy" with the rectangular ridges and such.

I like the clip of the TL-2, but they are both nice lights, well, great lights for the money.

If I lost mine, I'd replace the TL-2 first.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
the scorpion have a plastic lens and the tl-2 is glass

in the scorpion you must defocus the lamp when change the batteries, in the tl-2 just unscrew the tailcap

if you scratch the lens of the scorpion how you can replace it?

Techmedic

Enlightened
I believe that the scorpion lens is pressed in. Do a search for "scorpion lens replacement" and locate the detailed instructions - they were posted about 4-6 months ago. I have also heard that SL will replace it for you.
BTW I have both.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Ah yes, I just knew this question would come up…

I prefer the Scorpion as EDC in my parka or windbreaker for the following reasons:
-rear click switch
-lexan lens that won't likely break if dropped
-spare bulb on board (have never changed it and am on my 3rd set of batteries
-least expensive 123 light that I own, BUT a great performer and excellent value (less crying if it gets lost/damaged compared to a SF)

Reasons why I do NOT like the scorpion in my pocket, jeans/dress pants, etc…
-the rubber outer sheath "grabs" the pocket lining making it difficult to pull out in a hurry for; this reason alone I purchased the TL-2 as an improved EDC.

So If I need to have a good light on me, and am wearing jeans or dress pants:
-I will have the TL-2 clipped to my belt

So I use both as EDC's! The scorpion resides (now) in my parka LH pocket, and the TL-2 resides in my backpack along with 2 orange match cases with 2 123 cells each as backup.

Summer time the Scorpion will reside in the backpack, and the TL-2 will get put into the cottage box. (I am always afraid of dropping the TL-2 but have never used the lanyard…maybe I should!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
On the Scorpion,try rubbing down the rubber with 200 grit sandpaper to rub off the sharp edges. Finish with some talcum power to slick it up. These two steps made my Scorpion easier to get out of a pocket.