slick Dorcy mod.(pics)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Ok I have spoke of this before however did not have pics.I now have pics and think most will like this mod as it is easy and pretty cool. You will need 2 AAA Dorcy tail caps as one has to have the switch removed to act as a bezel. This allows the Dorcy to be slimmer and a little shorter. I used a sanded down Solitaire reflector and an old Low Dome Lux I had laying around. I simply glued the lux to the factory board and removed the resistor for a little help with the output and it works great. I had to lenghten the slits inside the dorcy body where the board slides down for contact but not by much. This lets the board slide back a little to allow the bezel to screw down on the tail cap now acting as a bezel. I have carried this little mod often and it works every time and is pretty bright. Of course it is not water proof nor very solid but for the cost it is incredible...enjoy the pics.
[image]
practice0011rw.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0021vo.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0032el.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0048ao.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0077qj.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0081xh.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0094og.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0105sh.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0118xa.jpg
[/image]
[image]
practice0065vr.jpg
[/image]

Robocop

The head removal was the easy part...I simply used 2 pairs of pliars and a thick rag.This has worked every time for me. I have also done this mod without changing the LED out and simply used another spare tail cap as a bezel. The stock reflector will fit inside the tail cap with a little sanding and makes this mod very slimmer and a little shorter as well. I will try to get some beam shots of the luxeon vs the stock LED both in the slimmer form.

Robocop

I forgot to add that the stock Dorcy AAA reflector can be pushed out of the bezel with a socket slid down inside and slowly tapping with a hammer. If you sand the diameter lightly it will fit inside the tailcap once the push button is removed. I lightly sanded a few of them and painted them with cheap silver paint. This made a nice round corona with no artifacts and is perfect for flood. My camera is acting a little weird but I will try to post some more pictures soon.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
thanks alot for the pics, Robocop. I had a hard time visualizing when I read about this before. I, too wanted to go luxeon in the Dorcy AAA, but I just managed to bubble the dome on my led and scratch the lens and reflector of the light all to hell. This looks compact and very useful! I'm gonna give this a shot soon.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also it helps to take apart the tail switch and flip over the metal peice that makes contact with the battery tube. You flip it over so no sharp edges rub on it. This removes the flicker and makes it smooooth to operate.