KL4+e1e or Q3?

Joseph

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying some rcr123s and a flashlight to run them. I narrowed it down to KL4+e1e and Q3 and I want to hear your opinions on these lights regarding runtime and brightness. I already have an L4 so I only need the body to build L4+e1e format so price is not a matter.

Please tell me your thoughts!

Thank you.

Joseph

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you're asking for an apples and oranges comparison. If you want more of a flood light, go with the KL4 combo. If you want more throw, go with the Q3.

I don't know how much runtime you'll get with the KL4, but it will be significantly less than you'd get with the Q3. Since you already have the L4, why don't you just get the Q3 anyway.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weird, I just got done saying something about this on my thread on optics vs reflectors!

here's my thing, I am a throw guy, no two ways about it. And though I feel the Q-III is THE best bang for the buck light, I prefer a the KL-1 on an E1e or better a vital gear
FB-1 body, because of this point, but is better made imho, and the versatility of use on many different host bodies, and that BIG time throw it gives.
My disapointment with the Q-III is that it's so much of a flood it tends to washout what throw it has unlike a ARC LSH-P which give pretty much equal amounts of both.
BTW, i am not up on the L4, but isn't the regulator in the light it's self? I could be very wrong but 65 lumens is the output for the L4, while the KL-1 is 25-30 now for the new 4th gen, so i would check into that Again I could be very wrong. VDG

deranged_coder

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:BTW, i am not up on the L4, but isn't the regulator in the light it's self? I could be very wrong but 65 lumens is the output for the L4, while the KL-1 is 25-30 now for the new 4th gen, so i would check into that Again I could be very wrong. VDG

[/ QUOTE ]
That is correct, the regulation circuitry is built into the KL4 head, which is why you can attach it to the E1e body and still get the full 65 lumens even though it is only running on a single cell. I have done this myself and it is amazing how bright the TW4 combo is for its size. I have not done any runtime tests on this but IIRC someone posted that it will run for about 20 minutes max with a primary cell before it falls out of regulation. Not sure what the runtime would be with an R123.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you're planning to run the light on rechargables anyway, go for the brighter one, i.e. the KL4/E1e combo (aka TW4)... 1 spare cell is always easy enough to carry, and you'd be running the light almost guilt free, not having to worry about batteries. Besides, you can always upgrade to a E2e body to make it a L4 anyway, and run that off Pilas or maybe... just maybe 2 of the R123s you have anyway...

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted runtime tests with the KL4/E1e/R123. I also own a few Q-III lights. The TW4 combo is simply the brightest setup you can get. I grab it 95% of the time. I added a 2-stage McE2S 22ohm switch.

TW4 runtime (high)
18 min in regulation
27 min to 50%
40 min to slight flickering
52 min got bored and turned it off.

TW4 runtime (low 22ohm)
9hrs and I got bored and turned it off.

Jeff

Joseph

Enlightened
Thank you for your repies, guys!

I did a search for TW4 and I found some threads saying that according to bin rating in KL4, some of them would not run in one cell as well as others. I wonder mine won't work very well on one cell because it has a little bit green tint. I like that tint because it's similar to that of sunlight, but it's obviously green comparing to my Lux3 T bins.

Give me some advice on this guys.

Thank you.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeff,
I like the idea of putting a McE2S 22ohm switch on you TW4 I tend to carry my TW4 95% of the time and a dual switch would be great for this light, now I just gotta get one, dang you jeff my wallet is crying as I type this.

doug

Turt

Enlightened
Joseph, if you are using a R123 the bin won't really matter. Also, the tint doesn't affect how well it works with one cell. I had a greenish Kl4 that worked better than one with a whiter tint.

JanCPF

Enlightened
My KL4+E1e+R123 (550mAH) combo runs for 25 min. IN regulation. It's an amazing little light. I don't think there is any other production light in existence with 65+ lumen output in that size.

Jan

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
deranged_coder said:
[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:BTW, i am not up on the L4, but isn't the regulator in the light it's self? I could be very wrong but 65 lumens is the output for the L4, while the KL-1 is 25-30 now for the new 4th gen, so i would check into that Again I could be very wrong. VDG

[/ QUOTE ]
That is correct, the regulation circuitry is built into the KL4 head, which is why you can attach it to the E1e body and still get the full 65 lumens even though it is only running on a single cell. I have done this myself and it is amazing how bright the TW4 combo is for its size. I have not done any runtime tests on this but IIRC someone posted that it will run for about 20 minutes max with a primary cell before it falls out of regulation. Not sure what the runtime would be with an R123.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, forgot about that! well aside from the price of a Kl-4 head, the L4 I used was a big flood of light, and I am all about throw. Are the newer ones more like a new KL-1? run time still sucks though. VDG

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
diggdug13 said:
Jeff,
I like the idea of putting a McE2S 22ohm switch on you TW4 I tend to carry my TW4 95% of the time and a dual switch would be great for this light, now I just gotta get one, dang you jeff my wallet is crying as I type this.

doug

[/ QUOTE ]

I like my low setting to be about 1W. If you like a brighter low setting then you may be happier with the 15ohm. Most people get the 22ohm, I believe.

Jeff

deranged_coder

Enlightened
AFAIK all of the KL4 heads produce a wall of light. So, if you want throw, the KL4 would not be the thing for you; stick with the latest gen KL1 head instead. But if you want a compact little flashlight that produces a 65 lumen wall of light then the TW4 combo fits the bill.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my eye, my Q3 is brighter and whiter than my TW4 setup. I'm not sure if I won or lost on that one. .

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
ACMarina said:
To my eye, my Q3 is brighter and whiter than my TW4 setup. I'm not sure if I won or lost on that one. .

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are running an R123 then there should be no comparision in light output. At best, the Q-III might come with a 'T' bin and at worst the KL4 will come with a 'U' bin. Tint can play tricks with our minds.

Remember to play fair and try the rechargeable in the TW4.

Jeff