The more I read about the different lights on this
forum, the Surefire L1 seems to be a leader in the
general use EDC light of choice.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif hmmmmmmmmm

What are your thoughts ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC my L1 and use it all the time. It is a great, hard working tough light. This is a light you can rely on. Personally I find the low output optimal for a LOT of situations and if you need a bit more output, you have it. I have an old version, and unlike a lot of people here I like the beam and find it optimal for most task situations.

Downsides:

A bit bigger than it needs to be for it's features. Of course some suggest this makes it more ergonomic which may be true since it is a very ergonomic light.

It is a bit pricey.

The HDS EDC does everything the L1 does and more in the same price range.

All in all, it is a great light that serves me well and I have no regrets about purchasing. However, I'd probably go for a HDS EDC if I was purchasing today.

-john

cia

Newly Enlightened
Pro's: I like everything about the light.
Con's: Price

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
Pro's: I like everything about the light.
Con's: Price

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
John N. I would say kind of in the same price range, not to mention availability. You can find a L1's for around $100 shipped right now. The most basic HDS is $30 more shipped, and you won't get it until /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I like the L1 with a High dome luxeon. The low dome was kind of lousy by today's standards. It was easy to swap to a TWAK luxIII.

The only down side of the L1 is that I've left it in low beam mode more than once, draining the battery over the course of a few days.

Daniel

cslinger

Enlightened
Well I am a new L1 owner and really got a chance to play with it over the weekend and I think it is a fantastic light.

I was very worried that the low beam setting was more gimmick then useable function. You know just something to say that we have a flashlight that will run for days blah blah. Well I have to say it is great for most all indoor activities. I can easily navigate using it, when used as a reading light it borders on darn bright, it throws well in low beam and you can even get a decent amount of ceiling bounce light.

Press the button a bit harder and you have a real thrower that really lights up.

The only con is the lack of sidespill in the new models but that is the price you pay for a thrower and as the distance opens up it actually spills quite nicely. The lack of spill is really only a close up issue.

Now some might say the fact that the light is not smash and bash tactical bright is a con but this is not a tactical light, it is a utility light and is is perfect for this. The light is focused and bright enough on high to definitely mess up somebody's night vision though without a doubt.

Two thumbs up for me with the biggest con being the price and like the above poster stated that ain't half bad.

If the low beam lasts half as long as Surefire's 50 hour estimate it will still be a fantastic light for just about any normal persons needs.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to think that the
L1 may be my first Surefire light ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering it also.. After losing my L1 in a cornfield.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.. It looks like it will be the L1 or L2..

* Oh by the way Pwdrkeg: You really dont know what you are missing until you get a Surefire... They are SWEET!!!!

-tom

saber

Newly Enlightened
Solstice,
Where are you finding L1's for $100 shipped? There are
plenty of vendors selling at MSRP ($125) with free shipping,
and some for a lower price plus shipping with a total around
$125.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
saber- don't rule out B/S/T (i'm buying an old style L1 from there right now- my first Surefire as well). Even if you buy a used one, since its a Surefire, its got a "you break it, we fix it" policy on it. I don't think we'll be seeing any HDS's appearing on B/S/T anytime soon unless the owner was REALLY strapped for cash.

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cslinger said:

If the low beam lasts half as long as Surefire's 50 hour estimate it will still be a fantastic light for just about any normal persons needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know for a fact that it will run on low for 23 hours.

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
BotachTactical has them for $99.95 and they shipped mine same day as I ordered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get the old style that they show on there web site or the new style.

Preaty good price no matter what style, just wondering what style you got.

cslinger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I know for a fact that it will run on low for 23 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there you have it I am thrilled. I am amazed at just how useful the low setting is. Yes at first look it is very dim but inside a house it is more than enough light to accomplish just about anything. Once your eyes get accustomed to it a ceiling bounce lights up a room just fine.

Love my L1

cognitivefun

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UPS misrouted it so it should arrive tomorrow (finally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

O_DubhGhaill

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
[ QUOTE ]
cia said:
[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UPS misrouted it so it should arrive tomorrow (finally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

My Botach order is on hold pending your report.

O'DubhGhaill, out