Pelican M6 vs Streamlight TL2 (xenon)

Stream

Enlightened
I'm considering buying either one of these two. They both look sturdy and well built, both run on 3V lithiums but I want a really bright flashlight so I'll simply be basing my decision on which one is brightest. According to the specs the TL2 has 114 lumens and the M6, 75 lumens. However, the M6 is bigger and has a bigger reflector. Does anyone own these two flashlights or happen to know which one is brightest?

PS: Please feel free to recommend any other similar lights within the same price range.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have the pelican and It is a good light. If you really want a small,cheap, bright light try the TL3. I have one and it just obliterates the pelican. It is rated 200 lumens.
In fact I had the pelican on my m4 carbine but it did not just have enought throw. The tl3 replaced it.

DimBeam

Enlightened
I am no expert but I seriously doubt the Streamlight TL2 or TL3 are rated at 114 and 200 lumens. I have often compared my G2 with the standard bulb to the TL2 and there seems very little difference in brightness. I think Surefire is more honest in stating their lumen ratings.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam rates the TL-2 at 59 total output, the TL-3 at 94 total output, and the Pelican M6 at 57 total output.

These are not "lumen" numbers, but are close enough IMHO.

The form factor is smaller on the TL's, save for the larger head on the TL-3. The TL's are my favorite Lithium incandescents, period. I sold my M6, too big, and slippery body.

The TL's also have a very useful clip, carry spare bulbs onboard (a huge advantage), and use inexpensive bubs.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6, TL2 and G2 are all very good lights. Among those I would probably pick the TL2 because of its size and appearance, although I seem to remember hearing more praise for the beam of the M6. If you really want bright though the TL3 is the way to go. I have one and it is great.

It is tough to compare Lumen ratings of lights because you don't know how the different manufacturers have rated them. I have a lot more faith in the numbers on flashlightreviews.com although they still don't tell the whole story regarding size and uniformity of spot.

Glenn

Enlightened
Of the 2 cell lights the Pelican has better throw.

Glenn

Stream

Enlightened
Oklalawman wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
I have the pelican and It is a good light. If you really want a small,cheap, bright light try the TL3. I have one and it just obliterates the pelican. It is rated 200 lumens.
In fact I had the pelican on my m4 carbine but it did not just have enought throw. The tl3 replaced it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, so you actually have it mounted on your weapon now. I can imagine the TL3 having a good beam with the large reflector head. Thanks for the tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
BTW what does the reflector look like, is it textured or smooth?
[ QUOTE ]
If you really want a small,cheap, bright light try the TL3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Norway, nothing is cheap over here. The TL2 costs $194 USD from a Norwegian website. There are no stores in Norway that carry any brand of flashlights except a few of the Maglites and some cheap generic plastic flashlights. I only know of one specialty store in the entire country that carries a tiny selection of lithium battery flashlights, among the three types they carry is the Pelican M6 at the "reasonable" price of $125 USD (Xenon version!). Norway pretty much has no selection in anything and everything costs at least twice as much as in most other countries -- one gallon of unleaded gasoline costs $6.45 USD, and Americans complain about paying two dollars a gallon. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest lol.

bjn70 wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
It is tough to compare Lumen ratings of lights because you don't know how the different manufacturers have rated them. I have a lot more faith in the numbers on flashlightreviews.com although they still don't tell the whole story regarding size and uniformity of spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
True. That's why I am interested in knowing if any of you have had a chance to compare these two flashlights. Thanks for the link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnK wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam rates the TL-2 at 59 total output, the TL-3 at 94 total output, and the Pelican M6 at 57 total output.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, so according to those numbers the TL2 is brighter than the M6, but someone mentioned the M6 having better throw. Has anyone actually held these two flashlights in their hands and compared them?

Boris

Newly Enlightened
I have them both. both are wonderfull lights. TL-2 for me is better. it has better size, and iths brighter. The m6 has more throw, wich means it can light objects at a longer distance, but the focus is too tight for my taste. The m6 also has one of the most perfect beams and last a few minutes more with a pari of 123. but i still prefer the TL2 for it's size and brightness.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
PELICAN M6!!!!!!! It has more throw than the Tl2, and it is alot smaller than the Tl3. I have the M6, and I tell ya, she was worth every penny. Basically, it has alot more throw than tl-2, and it is smaller than Tl3. Also, take into consideration of the great great warranty that Pelican has on all of their products- "you brake it, we replace it". M6 all the way! Take a look at www.flashlightreviews.com

-David

davidra

Enlightened
The TL-3 (the reflector is slightly textured) is the brightest stock light you can get, by Quickbeam's reviews. The beam is not quite as good as a Surefire's, and regardless of the rating, it doesn't put out near 200 lumens, but for a relatively small light with a lot of throw, the TL-3 is a great light. The only thing better about the Pelican is the reflector, but even the reflector won't outthrow the TL-3. The Streamlights come with a spare bulb, and I think the exterior finish will last longer. Both good lights, but I'd go with the TL-3.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
@STREAM- Do you want a relatively small light? If so, PM6- TL3 is a little big. Anybody know its length? I agree with DAVIDRA on the relector statement. I'll bet that the beam quality of the PM6 is better though.

A question to all Pelican M6 owners - How do you focus your M6, I dont think that mine focuses.

-David

Flashlight Enthusiast
New PM6s do NOT focus. Older ones did if the memory works correctly.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, thanks 357.

-David /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stream

Enlightened
Boris wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
have them both. both are wonderfull lights. TL-2 for me is better. it has better size, and iths brighter. The m6 has more throw, wich means it can light objects at a longer distance, but the focus is too tight for my taste. The m6 also has one of the most perfect beams and last a few minutes more with a pari of 123. but i still prefer the TL2 for it's size and brightness.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the TL2 very much because of it's small size. How far would you say it throws. If it's very short then I think I'd go with the M6, even though it's a bit more bulky.

Cheapo wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
PELICAN M6!!!!!!! It has more throw than the Tl2, and it is alot smaller than the Tl3. I have the M6, and I tell ya, she was worth every penny. Basically, it has alot more throw than tl-2, and it is smaller than Tl3. Also, take into consideration of the great great warranty that Pelican has on all of their products- "you brake it, we replace it". M6 all the way!

[/ QUOTE ]
That is a great warranty, it's one of the things I find very tempting about the Pelican. BTW, Cheapo, isn't that the villain from the MTV animated series Striperella? He's a funny character, always stealing nickels and robbing 99 cent stores lol.

[ QUOTE ]
@STREAM- Do you want a relatively small light? If so, PM6- TL3 is a little big. Anybody know its length?

[/ QUOTE ]
According to BrightGuy it's 6.25". The TL3 is a little on the plus side in terms of size, but I'll definitely buy it at some point. However, right now I'm either buying the TL2 or the M6 -- maybe both lol.
Oh and btw, I didn't find a holster for the TL3 at BrightGuy. Does anyone know of a holster that fits it?

Again, thanks for all the replies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wrangler

Enlightened
I don`t need a holster for my TL3. `cause of it`s clip I carry it at my back with lamp body inside the pants.
Works great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL3 is a really bright light, but you might want R123s and a holster.

-David

Stream

Enlightened
Wrangler wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
I don`t need a holster for my TL3. `cause of it`s clip I carry it at my back with lamp body inside the pants.
Works great!

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that uncomfortable?

David wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
TL3 is a really bright light, but you might want R123s and a holster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I definitely want a holster. Do you know where I can find a good one?
It would be great to have rechargeables in such a battery hungry light, but isn't the voltage on R123s a little too high for use in a light designed for CR123s? Have you used the TL3 with R123s?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know where to get a holster, and I dont have experience with R123s.

-David

Wrangler

Enlightened
@Stream
No it`s not that uncomfortable to me carrying the light that way.
@cheapo
Using 3 r123s can be a problem if they don`t have identical voltage of ~3V. Using such ones with 4,2 V will definately distroy the bulp. Not sure if 2 Pila`s 150 will work in this light at full brightness. But I doubt they will.

Wolfgang

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think cheapo was meaning the use of two R123s' with the TL3. Would need a dummy third cell.

Bill