Battery Rattle Question

fore

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, battery rattle is one of my little pet peeves. My solution has been to wrap a couple of layers of scotch tape around the cell which seems to work pretty well. Is there a downside to this method? One of my fears is that heat or age will degrade the tape and leave me with the cells stuck in the light or worse. Does anyone know if this can happen? Or whether the tape might have some kind of corrosive effect? Thanks!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The tape 'should'not degrade as it is not subject to UV rays and or other contaminents. The adhesive on the tape is specifically formulated to not cause problems but my only concern would be if the cell overheated it might make the adhesive more liable to migrate to the inside of the flashights battery wall, This would be a PITA to remove!
Otherwise I dont feel there is much to concern yourself about. However, why dont you use a post it note with the tape portion cut off. The paper is inert and not very fibrous and is as good as anything else you could think of?

Doug

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used a small piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of my lights. It works well. Tape has worked for me also. I doubt the tape would degrade that fast. I would think the battery would die before the tape caused any problems, BUT I am no tape expert, just a guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

83Venture

Enlightened
I wright my name and address and phone number on a post it saying reward if returned and wrap it around the battery. That way it does not rattle and if I lose one of my VIP, LionHeart, ARCS etc there is a chance that I will get them back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
83Venture,
I think that's a great idea to put your name and address on the post it inside the light! For the few honest members of society you'd probably get the light returned. As for the rest, well it cant do any harm to offer a reward can it?

Interestingly I lost my cell phone on a beach last year and the person who picked it up noted the home phone number I'd stuck on the back and called me to say she'd found it. I gave her a box of candy and was grateful she was one of the honest folk!

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I also use the post-its to make a tighter fit. For my custom made lights (ie. Fire Fly) I put the model of the sandwich and optics on the post-its. Never thought about putting address and phone number on the post-its...great idea!!!

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying this trick for a couple of months but I haven't done it enough to see what the long-term effects would be. So YMMV.

You can pick up lot of different air fresheners for the car at stores and the local car wash. When the smell is gone I use them to quiet battery rattle. I just cut pieces to the size a light will take.

Some are fresheners that are in jell form that never dry out even in the hottest weather. Some are felt pad and some are made of cork. I try them all and see what works best to keep batteries quiet.

I rather like the jelly freshener. It is sticky and will stay at the bottom of the light but will pull out without leaving a sticky residue in the bottom of the light. With the jell freshener it can sometimes be a Goncz to get the battery out; it is sticky. But the battery will, with a couple of shakes, always come out.

A nice off-shoot of air freshener is when I change batteries the light has a nice smell and never has any (flashlight) body order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

air_fresheners.jpg