The Last Samurai- Ichishiki extra-boost and UX1J

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Your CR2 flashlight will end up like a dragster once the UX1J is installed." – ARC mania.

ki_1.jpg

"FeLux" the Cat would like to give you the tour of the neat one off mod ARC mania did to my Ichishiki CR2 light.

The KI light is a marvel of engineering and miniature, precision, light building. Everything about the CR2 battery powered light oozes with quality. It stock form the KI light is beautiful, reliable and very bright. Can the light be capable of more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Read on and find out.

ki_2.jpg

My KI-cpf/LE, #107, is one-of-a-kind Katokichi Ishichiki CR2 light that has a special-order, ARC mania built, boosted converter and the union of a rare, unobtainium, UX1J emitter.

ki_3.jpg

The emitter is the brighter U-series of Luxeon III emitters. The U-bin series has a brightness range of 87.4 to 113.6 lux and that is one level brighter than the T-series variance of 67.2 to 87.4 lux. In the picture below the converter on the left is the stock converter.

ki_4.jpg

We PMed, emailed and phoned ideas back and forth across the Pacific Ocean. From rolling California and Japan this unique and rare combination of Japanese and American conversion came up. I mailed the emitter and ARCmania did his magic in record time to make a special emitter/converter for the KI #107 that I like to call "The Last Samurai."

ARC mania had a free choice of what to use for the replacement of the #107 converter then add the UX1J emitter to the package. The stock 550mA SCIII buck/boost in the #107 has been replaced with a boost only converter running 600mA to the emitter. The marriage of the emitter and converter was assembled to ARC mania's usual high-quality standards; I couldn't ask for a better quality build. The whole drop-in is a simple matter of screwing the old converter out and putting the new one in. It was a one minute job that rewarded me with 45% more light. In the right picture, below, you can see the UX1J emitter beam starting to "eat up" the MiniMag beam.

ki_5.jpg

The stock #107 light with the ARCMania SCIII converter and a TW0H emitter with a rechargeable CR2 cell put out a respectable 930 lux at one meter. The light with reflector has an intense hot spot with a decent spill light. With the new converter and UX1J emitter The Last Samurai lux reading jumped to 1350 lux. That is a very noticeable increase of light. 45 percent more light for 50mA more current and a UX1J emitter. The Last Samurai is brighter and the beam is a nice frosty white.

To quote ARC mania, "Your CR2 flashlight will end up like a dragster once the UX1J is installed." Yes it is and The Last Samurai is a well-mannered dragster. I've been able to run the light for the full battery time with no hiccups or overheating problems. The light gets warm but nothing to sweat (bad pun) about.

ki_and_mag_d_jpg.jpg

I'd like to give many thanks to both Katokichi for the quality light and ARC mania and the beefed up converter with the brighter UX1J emitter. The Last Samurai is the perfect EDC with the extra kick of brightness to it.

FeLux the Cat, Katokichi and ARC mania have pulled a treasure out of the FeLux Magic Bag…The Last Samurai! Ouuu….weeee; it's bright!

This light is a one shot deal. Don't ask ARC mania for any 'cause there aren't any more. I think?

Monolith

Enlightened
Re: The Last Samurai- Ichishiki extra-boost and UX

Very nice! Great photos! Line starts here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif for the unobtanium LED and converter board... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice! Ultra-Nice! MJ
Congrats Billy of having a one of a one of a kind.
BTW: I luv Felix ze cat.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

[image]http://www.2myeasyloan.com/cromagnet/images/scared-eyepopping1.gif[/image]

Very nice! Like a mini Q3r. How long does it run?

[image]http://www.2myeasyloan.com/cromagnet/images/evil-evilsmile.gif[/image]I'm off to start a new thread. [image]http://www.2myeasyloan.com/cromagnet/images/evil-bat.gif[/image]

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congrats on this beauty.

Thanks

Curtis

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've has so much fun with the light I haven't thought about doing a run time for it versus the stock light. I figure the run time would be less with the modded light but makes up for the smaller run time by being so bright. It is also nice to have two converters. The stock converter for, I'm sure, a longer run time and one converter for a crazy bright light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif At work people loved the cute little light with a lot of kick to it. I had to remember that most people think of small single cell lights as cheap, plastic and most of all yellow and dim. Not The Last Samurai. It surprised them all.

I would think that if people can dig up a UX1J emitter that ARCMania might consider mounting the emitter in one of his converters when he has time. The way the converter/emitter and reflector are joined together it is not a do it yourself mod. The set up is one complete unit.

chasm22

Newly Enlightened

I'm definitely in line for this.

chasm22