Where is Surefire G2 really made? China?

PoppyGoddess

Newly Enlightened
Just saw this on another forum:
---
Here's the golden question, WHERE IS SUREFIRE G2 made? Don't say the old USA because I don't see anywhere on the box saying it is US made. I think it is a direct violation of some law for not stating the orgin of the goods to the consumer. Surefire is going to be in deep deep poop when the Attorney General looks into it. Ah, please forward me onto say Pelican, PentagonLight, Streamlight, and yes, the all American, MagLite.
---
Anyone with a good answer?

Pila_Power

Enlightened
It could depend on whether it is implied that "made" means assembled or manufactured...

EDIT: "By this I mean if something is 'created in bits' in say, China and then made/assembled into the complete unit in say, USA; couldn't you then correctly say it was 'made' in the USA?"

Due to costs, I'd be suprised if SOMETHING in every flashlight wasn't made in China or some other Eastern/Asian location.

PoppyGoddess

Newly Enlightened
Oh, no. This is a different case. I don't even see any indication on where it is assembled, made, or produced. I think Surefire skipped all that probably because they don't want people to associate the name Surefire with China or elsewhere that are known for producing lower cost flashlights. I think if some trial lawyer find out about it, they would have a hay day. Forward on. I'm no fan of Surefire but people sure deserve some truth.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I would buy products made in Atlantis if they were of the right quality, price, and fulfilled the function I am looking for to be fulfilled. My 3.759 cents.

batterystation

Enlightened
The real trick word is "manufactured." If that is stated, it darn well better be completely done here. The word "made" is pretty loose. When I worked at Motorola, we got various models of radios in from Malaysia and other places. They came as the guts, housing, and decals. These were "made" in the USA because the guts were slid in place, screws tightened and decals applied. It seems to all be a play on words.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
... and batterystation, that's EXACTLY why I laugh at those who buy only Made in USA or Made in Australia, for examples, as they obv have little idea of what that really means!!

Some people buy "Made in their own country" to the exclusion of all others based on the premise of (supposedly)better workmanship. This is crazy. To buy "Made in your own country" for economic reasons or whatever is totally fine.

I am definitely not the purchasing police however and am just pointing out my POV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
I woud not knock a company on this. I think the legal definitions are beyond the knowledge of anyone who is not a lawyer.

Also the ONLY overtly honest product I have seen that was made outside of its country of origin was a Browning Hi Power. Stamped right on the slide "Made in Belgium, Assembled In Portugal.

Also of note I like Surefire...because the ones I've had work better than advertised, unlike any other lights I've bought.

Richard.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Pila_Power...

Your post reminds me...I'm an American, but when I lived in Australia and South Africa and some other countries...I mailed stuff home for friends and family (the local products for tourists).

I peeled off the labels first though so they would not say "Made in China".

Richard.

PoppyGoddess

Newly Enlightened
This is NOT about stating where it is "made" or "manufactured" or "assembled". The G2 package I have does NOT state anything about it at all, while other packages I have from Surefire like the M2 and M4 clearly marked "Made in USA". So I think that has to violate some law especially if it is made, manufactured, or assembled outside of the country.

I agree too that I don't really care where it is made as long as I get what I pay for. But I think the law is there to protect companies from deceiving consumers into thinking a product is made in a particular country which may be associated with say quality, when it is actually not.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Does the fact that a product is produced in x country and sold in y automatically devalue its worth or quality? I think not. Who designed and specified the G2? Surefire! Who warrants the quality? Surefire. Now if a product was designed and made exclusively in China and then sold under the brand name of Surefire I could see your arguement. However as much we may or may not like it the world is now a global economy and a large part of not only US products but also western manufacturing as a whole is done in the sweat shops of Asia.
I am not trying to suggest that this is right or wrong but simply make the point that this is a fact of 21st century life and Surefire (if it does produce the G2 in China?)would be simply be doing the same as everyone else who wishes to stay competitive in the global marketplace we now live in.

Doug

Geologist

Enlightened
Maybe the "Made in USA" sticker fell off?
Maybe you bought a G2 clone from some sweatshop in Canada? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Just more thoughts. 30-50 years ago it was a much bigger issue of "where" goods were being made/manufactured. These days what does that statement mean on the packaging anyway? Perhaps of greater importance would be a sticker that says made by Surefire or made by McGizmo, then you would know what to expect from quality regardless of the location of manufacture. Of course this is only my 1.61803 3988749894 minutes of an opinion.

Mark2

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
pentagonlight isn't american iirc

[/ QUOTE ]

PentagonLight flashlights are made in the USA, the company is located in California.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
RGP4544: yep, if it ain't made in China, we don't wanna sell it! :p

There's profits to be maximised off you tourists ya know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bachelor's paper was titled, "How People Lie: A Linguistic Analysis of Deception." If every other Surefire boasts "Made in USA," the silence over the G2's country of origin is designed to prevent customers (or worse, potential customers) from knowing or inferring the truth.

Remember the recent spat over singing stars who lip-sync during a "live" performance? Their PR person defend the practice, saying, in effect, "I don't think people really care, as long as they're having a good time." Then why oppose a law that requires full disclosure before people put their money down?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hope the Attorney General has better things to do than track down rogue flashlight manufacturers. As for where the G2 is made, produced, manufacturer, shined or buffed, I could care less. It's a wonderful product from a great company that makes truly high-end gear.

The G2 happens to be priced and constructed as an entry level light in their line-up. If that means they get some part of it molded/cast/machined/QC'ed somewhere where it would be cost effective for them to offer this product at the price point they do, then so be it. If some percentage of the product is assembled/manufactured/man-handled in some place other than the US which prohibits them from branding it with "Made in the US", then that's fine with me. They've already earned the money I've given them for their products.

Size15's

Flashaholic
When I toured SureFire's factory the G2's Nitrolon components were produced in the USA, and so was the metal sleeve, as was the rest of parts that go into it. The G2 like all other SureFires is assembled in the USA at SureFire.

I'm not aware this has changed.

DimBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
When I toured SureFire's factory the G2's Nitrolon components were produced in the USA, and so was the metal sleeve, as was the rest of parts that go into it. The G2 like all other SureFires is assembled in the USA at SureFire.

I'm not aware this has changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Case closed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
batterystation said:
The real trick word is "manufactured." If that is stated, it darn well better be completely done here. The word "made" is pretty loose. When I worked at Motorola, we got various models of radios in from Malaysia and other places. They came as the guts, housing, and decals. These were "made" in the USA because the guts were slid in place, screws tightened and decals applied. It seems to all be a play on words.

[/ QUOTE ]

That reminds me of the HP, Compaq, Dell, IBM and other laptops in a Taiwan factory, all of them were being made in the same factory. From what we were told, there were a number of factories there who each bid on different models, to make them. Then the guy laughed and said when they got to the US, the stickers on the bottom were put on them so the manufacturers could say Made in USA. It was weird to see multiple brands being produced at the same facility.