SureFire Guarantee?

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

What's the extent of the guarantee/warranty that SureFire offers on their products? I've just acquired my first SF light, and was wondering about this. Most companies like to make a big thing of their product warranties, and the lengths to which they will go to replace a customer's damaged/faulty product.
My first SF is an L2. I've read that the 5W Lux in the L2 has a rated life that is considerably shorter than that of a 3W Lux. Yes, it's still in the thousands (?) of hours, but I'd like to know, if just for peace-of-mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Their website says:

<font color="blue">Guarantee
Lamps will burn out, batteries will be used up, and tape switches for WeaponLights™ will eventually need to be replaced. Everything else is covered by our lifetime no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it!
</font>

What's the strangest / most extreme situation under which a SF owner has claimed warranty repair from SF?
I'd like to hear some stories please.

Cheers!

emrbrtn

Enlightened
Well, I read in the SureFire catalogue that this guy accidently shot himself with a .22 rifle and guess what the bullet hit? Yep his brand new E2O. It still lit up with the bullet lodged in it and they replaced it for him.

pyro

Enlightened
do you believe that?
I don't.
I got a cracked turbohead lens replaced,
but they did not want to repair my beamshaper.

are only the Lights covered in the warranty or are accidents by "user stupidity" excluded?

UVvis

Enlightened
They have replaced at least one user stupidity error for me. But their warranty covers the light minus the bulb and batteries (and tape switches).

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think that if you contact them and are truthful and polite SureFire will do their best to make the situation right.

Which BeamShaper was it? Was it broken, or damaged (scratched etc) ?

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I have never been disappointed in their customer service. The people at Surefire have always been just splendid to deal with. And yes I do believe the story about the guy getting shot with the .22 rifle and his E2O saving his life. I saw a picture of the light and read the story about a year ago. Surefire doesn't need to make up lies to bolster their reputation as a first class company. Their products and service are enough. They have replaced a few parts for me over the years that they certainly didn't have to. I agree with Size15's.

bobbo

Newly Enlightened
I bought a M6 last July,could hardly wait untill night time to try it out.Went out in the back yard after it turned dark,turned on the light(MN-20, 250 lum. bulb)and thought nice and bright,changed out the bulb to the MN-21, 500 lum. bulb,turned on the light expecting to have sunlight at night.The light was no brighter than the MN-20 bulb,I knew this was not right,turned off the light,waited a couple of minutes, turned on the light,no brighter, then the light started dimming and went almost completely out.All of a sudden I heard a fairly loud "POP",yes,the bulb exploded ! I called SureFire the next day,they said to send them the whole light assembly (the inside of the lens was white). Two weeks later,SureFire sent me a new head along with the body I had purchased.I called to find out what had happened and they said they did not know,and this has happened a few times befor,but it was rare (the lens and reflector were ruined).
I bought a L-6 last November and the LED was yellow and fairly dim (i have another L-6 to compare).I called SureFire and they said to send it back and they would check it out.It is now the first or April and I still do not have my light.I have called several times and they say they are waiting for LEDs (4 1/2 months)!!?.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
I've taken apart a 10x to find out how it works. I wasn't able to get it all back together. I emailed SF and told them the truth and I was able to send it back to get it fixed.

Geoff

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've been having trouble getting it all back together for a long time. When I called SureFire and told them the truth they said that nobody could help me.

Al

Snow

Enlightened
I once pulled the spring out of the tailcap of my G2 and they sent me a replacement. I was pretty impressed.

MrMom

Enlightened
The LED in my L4 smoked after a years worth of very regular use and Surefire stood by their gurantee by sending me a new KL4.

pyro

Enlightened
Al, i don't think i were impolite.
It is a FM24 that was dropped wit a M3T.
Lens is cracked, (doesn`t matter, beam is not affected of course) and the spring that holds it open broke away.

But they will replace the lamp that got defocused,
i just expected the opposite

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well it does matter since it has broken. I am surprised they didn't fix the BeamFilter. I was not aware they differentiated.

14C

Enlightened
Never had a real problem - like those above - but SF has always been A1 with service and responsiveness.

As with anything other organization first line customer service might be a hassle although I have never personally found it so with SF.

I also have to say that they have been very responsive in spite of the fact that they have military commitments. I have waited for some things but not way too long.

YMMV

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bobbo said:
I bought a M6 last July,could hardly wait untill night time to try it out.Went out in the back yard after it turned dark,turned on the light(MN-20, 250 lum. bulb)and thought nice and bright,changed out the bulb to the MN-21, 500 lum. bulb,turned on the light expecting to have sunlight at night.The light was no brighter than the MN-20 bulb,I knew this was not right,turned off the light,waited a couple of minutes, turned on the light,no brighter, then the light started dimming and went almost completely out.All of a sudden I heard a fairly loud "POP",yes,the bulb exploded ! I called SureFire the next day,they said to send them the whole light assembly (the inside of the lens was white). Two weeks later,SureFire sent me a new head along with the body I had purchased.I called to find out what had happened and they said they did not know,and this has happened a few times befor,but it was rare (the lens and reflector were ruined).
I bought a L-6 last November and the LED was yellow and fairly dim (i have another L-6 to compare).I called SureFire and they said to send it back and they would check it out.It is now the first or April and I still do not have my light.I have called several times and they say they are waiting for LEDs (4 1/2 months)!!?.

[/ QUOTE ]

bobbo,

I just had the same type of experience. I had just replaced my batteries 3 days ago with fresh(Surefire)batteries. After the change I decided to put a hola in my M6 and when I turned the M6 tonight everything was good for about a minute and then I hear this pop and then darkness. I didn't notice any dimming like your light did. It was more like an instaflash except that a minute or so had elapsed before the bulb blew. I took it inside my house to see what went wrong and the turbohead is looking damaged. The reflector looks damaged and the lens might be damaged too.
First thing tomorrow I'm going to call SF customer service and tell them what happened.

I hope the turnaround time is a little shorter then the 2+ months it took them to repair the last light I sent to them for warranty work. On the positive side, I don't recall anybody receiving a light back from SF that hadn't been fixed. As long as they fix it right, I can be a little more patient than I might otherwise be.

chasm22

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MrMom said:
The LED in my L4 smoked after a years worth of very regular use and Surefire stood by their gurantee by sending me a new KL4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm especially glad to hear this one. Having an L2 sort of puts me in the same boat.

But with the L2, I wonder how the replacement would be done? Did you send your L4 to them?

Cheers.