Identifying Your Light as Yours

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I was thinking about all these expensive lights I have been acquiring lately: Surefire A2, L2, etc. I'm not the kind to sell something that I grow fond of, so I was trying to think of a good, permanent way to identify my light as mine.

I thought about drilling a hole through the body, exactly between the batteries. Then I could put a nice stainless wire through and attach a metal tag that said, "Scott."

But then I suppose some theif would just snip the wire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Got any other ideas? Is it too risky to have a local trophy shop engraver do work on curved HA-III?

Scott

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
A note inside with your name and phone# would help if the person who found/borrowed it was conscientious.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple 20pt VVS diamonds laying around, I was thinking of having them mounted in my KL4.
I always keep a $100 bill in my flashlight (got the idea here) and it has my name and phone number on it, in marker.

greenLED

Flashaholic
drilling a hole around the battery tube? You'd lose all waterproofness. I nicer idea would be to have it engraved.

UVvis

Enlightened
Mark it with your scent!?!

Or you could use some masking tape and make a little ring around it to paint a different color line around the light somewhere.

Also, think about laser engraving.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put some clear heatshrink tubing over the body
of my Arc AAA with my name and phone number inside
the tubing.

It has the side benefit of reducing the jingling
of the light against my coins and protecting my
teeth when I hold it in my mouth.

This helps if it is lost but does nothing if
someone steals it. For theft prevention you'd
have to have some very visible engraving saying
"Property of ...". Even then the thief could file
off the engraving.

Greg

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, maybe a 1/4" hole through my A2's body would meake it a *little* less water resistant, but I think you are being picky. And metal tags make a cool noise besides /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually I was thinking of something unobtrusive like a made-up serial number engraved in the "ring" opposite the clip attachment. I have seen where some have put reflective tape there. (I don't think that would detract too much from resale value, for you cold-hearted flashlight abandoners.)

So, laser engraving is the way to do it? Where would I go for that?

Scott

UVvis

Enlightened
For laser engraving, check your yellowpages for local folk. If not you can find lots of places on the web that can provide the service.

I just did a quick google search and found many places.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did it myself, but how about this for personalizing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

added.jpg

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the inside of my tailcaps, I scratch my initials, just so I can sort out mine if confusion arises with someone elses. I've also scratched it lightly inside the battery tube near the tailcap.

I'm going to probably use a piece of paper with a note inside, just in case though. Especially if I travel.

(Thinking about getting a yellow G2 with the new LOTC for travelling, since it's not all scary tactical eyebrow-raising black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't worry about someone stealing my lights, really. And it's pretty easy to tell my lights from everybody else's around here - mine are the nice ones. .

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
I did it myself, but how about this for personalizing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to mark it on the pocket clip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OH WAIT! I See the L! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Reptilezs

Enlightened
if you want to prevent theft its going to be pretty hard because the lights are small and easily taken. now if you want to make them stand out against a group of simaler lights, cut a 1/2 inch - 1 inch piece of colored heatshrink and shrink it onto the light.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone is bent on stealing your stuff, they are going to take it, period.

It has always amazed me what people will do when they think they can get away with it.

They'll say, "Oh no, you lost that cool flashlight you had? That's too bad. I have one too, and I would hate to lose it." Except it's your light. Acquaintences and friends of friends are great for that kind of trick. They know very well that some things have no identifying markings and nothing can be proved.

Not all, but a lot of people will be deterred if they know they either have to hide it or be seen with something that has been conspicuously filed. Everybody knows what that telltale bare metal patch says.

Besides, if it does get swiped, you don't have to see someone else's and wonder if it isn't yours.

Scott

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Still thinking about that $100 bill...

If you do lose it to someone dishonest(stolen), they score $100 plus a cool light... If lost, that's another matter I guess, but an honest person surely would respond to a note and phone number in the off chance of a reward - maybe include this lure in the note... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pyd: Where do you keep your $100 loaded light??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are, unfortunately, people who will take anything that is not marked or chained down, and sometimes even things that are.

Conspicuously decorate your lights -- a piece of reflective tape, a different tailcap or bezel, or a funky lanyard. However, you also want to mark it, internally or externally, or both, and not with something that can be rubbed off, scratched off, or cut off. Use an engraving tool or the like.

The first warns off a would-be thief. The second helps you to recover your property.

Not worth your time or effort? How much would it cost you to replace your light(s)? How much would it break your heart to lose that special light?

Your other option? Never, ever let your light(s) out of your hands.