Lumens per watt

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition, FL are limited to larger packaging and more complex driving circuitry.

-Darin

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there still has to be a ballast - at least the new ones are electronic and do not lose as much as the old ones

In one of my Spectrometer readings, the light output was almost yellow

I still prefer Incandescent lighting for a more "purer" White

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking for a while - this is my first post.

Aren't white LEDs basically florescent lights? They use a white phosphor excited by a short-wavelength LED. I had assumed that was why white-light LED flashlights often exhibit blue, green, or violet tinges, just like florescent lamps do.

Florescent light can be all over the spectrum (pun intended, sorry) in terms of quality; different phosphor formulas and different ballasts give different results. It's true that the cheap tubes and crummy magnetic ballasts used for old shop lights yields nasty color and headache-inducing flicker. But the best phosphors on a nice electronic ballast can give a light that is subjectively very similar to incandescent light, with good rich colors and no perceptible flicker.

LEDs have made big strides in the areas of power output and efficiency in the last 10-15 years; it's not impossible that they may become a viable large-scale lighting technology one day. I'll be rooting for them!

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, White LEDs use the same technology as a FL tube except that a FL tube is excited by the two wavelengths of Mercury Vapor 245nm and 365nm; whereas the White LED is usually excited by 400-430nm

The FL powder produces very bright light in those wavelengths that I posted previously, while the White LED phosphor produces these:

http://www.inretech.com/pictures/4.jpg

The White LED is "nicer", but it still has some "holes" in the spectrum compared to the Sun or a incandescent lamp

Stephen7372

Newly Enlightened
I hate fl lights with every ounce of my exsistance, its just the *******s who own offices insist on them.
I was hoping LEDs would be a cheaper alternative.As companies only care about cash, leds would take over but it doesn't seem to be the case which I find really disapointing.
frown.gif