Dismantling a Mag

superbright

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to know how i dismantle a maglite 5d i think.
Is the top (where it holds the bulb) of the light removable at all? I can't work out how if it can.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, remove the little rubber swtich cover, get a 5/64th" allen wrench and unscrew it a few turns, it should drop out

superbright

Newly Enlightened
Just tried that, the allen key doesnt seem to fit at all. I stuck it right down the centre hole on the switch but doesnt seem to grab anything, just turns freely.

I want to take out all the top section (where the bulb is).
Reason being, the batteries i had leaked and seemed to have cause the spring and internals to corrode. I want it dismantle it and give it a clean, hopefully get it working again.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
For your purpose, I would suggest to slide the whole switch assembly out, and you could later decide which part to dislocate to clean. The only part that one could easily dissemble is the bulb retaining ring and the head assembly.

The Hex key is indeed 5/64th" inch(1/14, 0.76mm), and the little bolt is embedded deep in, it should loosen when you turn it in counterclockwise.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
An easy way to dismantle one might be dynamite. Reassembly might a little difficult though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I wouldn't mind hearing a little more of the details also, I'm about ready to strip my 5d mag down for the first time ever (for me to strip any light) and I heard the switch assembly is made up of a few thousand or so parts and can be a bit tricky putting it back together again.

If I want to anodize the body and head, are there any tips'n'tricks to getting it prepped for anodizing? Ie: removing the lense, switch bits, any parts that shouldn't get coated etc??

Hope this ain't considered a hijack!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim.

PJ

Enlightened
Try this link:
http://kevin.htgk.org/
and look at the Mod Cookbook:OA4D instructions. It should show you step by step how to take one apart if the serial number begins with a letter. It worked on a 4D Mag for me. Older Mags need special snap ring pliers IIRC.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Wow! So much info!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Does Hotbeam make the 3 x 3W or 4 x 3W sinks also? I think it's actually Icarus. I live in Australia though so it'd most likely be cheaper for freight if Howard made them... especially if they're made from heavy stuff.

I'm also pretty sure my 5d is a 'd' serial number so that's also good.

superbright

Newly Enlightened
No luck, i even snapped the allen key /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
It seems as tho the allen key isn't even biting on the screw, just spins freely, tried different size keys. Perhaps the battery acid has corroded and rusted it together. Time to lay the mag to rest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif

nexro

Enlightened
Perhaps the screw is already loose. You can try forcing the switch out by pushing it from the top with a screwdriver or something. That is what I did with my mag3D after it suffered from battery leakage as well. Suprisingly, no acid seeped thro into the switch assembly.