L1 beam shape,

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
the beam on my L1 2004 version has a slightly odd shaped central spot, I understand it is possible to improve this by alligning the LED in the lens, is this possible with the L1 head, if so how?

Many Thanks
Mark

Phil_B

Enlightened
The new TIR optic allows the shape of the led die(a square) to shine through. It's not a fault,although it might at first, seem unusual.
I have a couple of lights that do this so it's not a SF thing.
The way to change this is to put in a reflector,or a different optic, but why bother mate, you'll loose the warranty for one,and it won't throw as far.It's just a feature of this light/optic combination.
My L1 has a slight blue tinge to the outside of the square,but only on one side,this is produced BY the optics(although I've had a similar thing on an off centre die before).
In practical use it just doesn't show.
I hope that helped.
ps,if you want to get an old L1 head,they can be improved by just changing the led for a nice tint lux III,the stock one is a bit cr@ppy. Then play with the optics just for fun!

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Phil_B
thanks for the reply, I think i have the one before the new optics, but as you say it;s fine in use. the head doesn't look like its easy to fiddle with so perhaps its better to leave alone as you say
Mark

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
I changed the optic back to the NX05 in my old modded L1. I couldn't get it as centered as the fraen and finally gave up since I didn't want to shim/file it. It's fine in use, but looks funny since there is an off-center round primary hotspot inside of the square hotspot.