Surefire Belt Carry

vontech

Newly Enlightened
I now have several potential EDC Surefire lights: L4, E1/KL1, A2, and soon C3.

How are you securing the lights to your belts, and do you have any pictures or explanations, recommendations of how you carry your EDC?

Or should I simply give up and put it in a pouch? I do as little "hard labor" as possible, so I have a "slim" chance of damaging this light while naked on my belt.

... The light .... not me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom

deranged_coder

Enlightened
When EDCing a light on my belt, I keep it in a holster.

When EDCing a light in my pocket, it is clipped to my pocket and if a lanyard is available I have the other end of the lanyard attached to one of my belt loops.

In this photo, you see both the belt holster for my E2e as well as the L1 clipped to my pocket with the lanyard attached to a belt loop:
EDC_L1_E2e.jpg

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my L4 is on my belt I use a mini-mag holster, it was a tight fit so I soaked down the nylon holster and used a broom handle to shove into it, even tighter. When it dried It fit my L4 absolutly perfect.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
deranged_coder said:
In this photo, you see both the belt holster for my E2e as well as the L1 clipped to my pocket with the lanyard attached to a belt loop:
EDC_L1_E2e.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you never remove the white sticker from the bezel of your L1?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're like me, you don't like how the holsters ride up high and jab you in your side. So I do my holsters like this:
I bring the flap of the holster up through the belt so it rides lower. The tension between me and the belt keeps the holster from falling out when I take out the light. I also do the ol' lanyard thru the beltloop thing...

http://img227.echo.cx/my.php?image=dscn06675rl.jpg

deranged_coder

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
leukos said:
Did you never remove the white sticker from the bezel of your L1?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I never bothered to remove it. Last I checked, the sticker is still there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I carry a modified 6P in a homemade kydex rig. Canted forward and carried BEZEL DOWN! None of that bezel up nonsense for me.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug, care to say how you made that? Looks pretty good. I wonder if its possible to make one for a 6P/9P....

vontech

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, all for your posts!

KDOG3: What's the light you're carrying? It looks rather large (or are you just happy ...)?

ACMarina: Where did you get your Rocketman for your A2:

Doug: Do you have any other pictures of your rig showing the belt better? What width is needed for your belt?

And lastly, does anyone know a source for Kydex holsters for specific model Surefire lights, like the A2 and L4?

Thanks again, everyone!

Tom

dougmccoy

Enlightened
KDOG3: Really easy once you've made a few false starts.

Tools: You'll need some basic tools; Heat gun, thin leather or cotton gloves, small piece of flat alloy bar, Drill and various size bits,hacksaw, files, sand paper and belt sander(or in my case a hand held electric sander as I dont a have a belt sander) A small piece of smooth laminated formica board (not essential but helps) and some acetone. A metal tube or wood dowel of the right diameter for the light you want to make the holster for.

Materials: Kydex or concealex. (The thinner sheet is better for this than the heavier and thicker) Black rivets and a small or large Tek-Lok (to suit your belt size)

Method: Plan to make the initial holster longer than you are likely to require. (You can always cut some off but cant make it longer!) I have made some longer to cover the switch completely, some are built to end by the switch. (It's your choice depending on the type of light you've got) place the kydex/Concealex sheet onto the formica coverd board and heat using heat gun until the Kydex becomes pliable (too little heat and it wont bend, too much and you'll end up with a piece of burnt Kydex. Place the metal or wood former onto the Kydex and fold the Kydex over the former. Using the flat alloy bar, press one edge into the folded side to increase the fold definition and to make sure the Kydex/Concealex maintains its tightness to the former. Wait a short while until it's cooled and maintains its own shape. Try the intended light into the tube you've just created and make sure it is a comfortable fit. If it is too loose gently heat the kydex at the tail end until you can slightly deform the tube enough to make an interference fit. Once done measure and mark out the tube to the length required and cut off the surplus with a hacksaw. Do the same with the surplus piece of the folded Kydex/Concealex until you have obtained the proportions required. Place a Teklok against the rear of the holster and use it as a template to mark some drill holes. Once these holes are made decide on how many rivets you are going to use and make the holes and rivet the holster together. File the edges to a rough profile and then use a sander to achieve a reasonable edge. Finish by use of fine grade sandpaper. Finally when the holster appears nearly completed dip a lint free piece of cotton cloth in some Acetone and rub vigorously along the holsters edges to obtain a lovely smooth professional finish. Apply Tek-Lok and you are done!

Sounds complicated? It's not and it is really easy the only difficult bit is making sure that you continually refit the light into the holster until the rivets are applied to ensure the right level of tension.

Hope this advice is of some use?

Vontech, Belt width is 50mm and I will post some more views tonight when I get home.

Doug

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom, for Rocketman stuff check out RMHolsters.com

He mostly works in kydex for handgun holsters (he's a training guy for a police department, IIRC) but there are the light holsters about 3/4 of the way down the main page. $15 bucks, fits like a glove.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
As promised here are some more pictures of different holsters I've made.

BELTCLOSEUP.jpg

HOLSTERS3.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much to make one to hold a 6p/G2/9P? Seriously?

Nevermind. I just saw that you are in UK. Shipping would kill me.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened
dougmccoy,
That is some very nice looking work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Where did you source your Tek-Lok's from, I have a need of one or two, but they are hard to find in the UK?