Converting your nitrolon to a poormans devastator?

Knife_Sniper

Newly Enlightened
I had heard about nitrolon conversions utilizing only surefire accessories. My friend Ish wants a high output lithium flashlight for his job. He works in a dimly lit arcade and sometimes the customers cause a little trouble.
I know you would need the g2 body extending adapter but I am not sure what bexel/ head and lamp combo he would need to buy. He wants good throw on the light with plenty of focus. (as it is a large arcade)

I have seen the conversion before on another forum, but that page has since been archived and I no longer have access to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

an14bk_full.jpg

Can you guys give me some suggestions? I am doing this for him and myself... as I am also interested in making a poor mans devastator to toy around with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks a million!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AN14 nitrolon extender will give you enough room to make a 3 cell light with a 1/2 cell battery spacer. That would allow you to run the P90 and P91 in it, though you might want to replace the lexan lens with a glass one.

To turn it into a M4 devastator would require you to purchase a turbo head (KT1 or KT2) plus the MN60 or MN61 bulb, 2 AN14s and a Z20 battery spacer. Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: Converting your nitrolon to a poormans devasta

If you created such a TurboHead light the number of joints and the use of the Z20 would increase the resistance and therefore the runtime and perhaps even the top output would be decreased.

For the cost of the TurboHead, Lamp Assemblies, body adapters and battery spacer you are well on your way to buying a whole M4.

Al

Knife_Sniper

Newly Enlightened
Re: Converting your nitrolon to a poormans devasto

Well that also answers another question.
He wants (as well as me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) a long range light with good throw. Thus we could slap on a turbohead. The surefire website does not say which turboheads are compatible with the Nitrolon. Leukos says a turbohead (either KT1 or KT2) would work on a Nitrolon. Is this true? If it is then that makes me insanely happy as I can create a powerful spotting light on the cheap.

If that is true then they (the turboheads) come with N1 (KT1) and N2 (KT2) lamp assemblies and the turbohead has a glass/pyrex lens. So far so good. If both the KT1 and KT2 fit the Nitrolon then we have the makings of a long range 60 - 105 lumen nitrolon in poor man configuration. This would be phase 1 and I think both me and my friend would be fairly happy with this setup.

However... (this is out of PURE curiosity) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What happens if we add 1 AN-14 extension tube + Z20 spacer with the N1 (60 lumen) lamp and turbohead? What kind of lifespan would we get out of this setup and what kind of light output? I assume it would be above 60 lumens as the KT1 is made for a 6 volt light. Can we overdrive it to 9 volts? Would the bulb pop when we crank it on? Or would it do something weird like give us 75 or so lumens for an hour and thirty mins? (not to hopefull on that one lol)

If the setup was not possible then what we would end up doing is buying a KT2 turbohead, an AN-14 spacer, and a Z20 battery spacer. That would give us a poormans C3 centurion with turbohead at near 100 lumens. I can live with that as I own an C3 centurion (awaiting KL3 LED conversion head in the mail... BACKORDERD)

For him it would be an insanely bright light, for me it would be a long range spotting flashlight for my caving hobby. I use the C3 for that purpose right now with a primary consisting of a Streamlight 3AA twintask LED. After my order comes in I will be using my KL3 C3 with the poor mans Nitrolon to be my spotting tool.

This site is great!

Size15's

Flashaholic

The KT1 and KT2 are the same apart from the Lamp Assembly.

The KT1 will directly replace the G2's bezel.
SureFire%20G2-KT1%20&%20others%2064.jpg

The KT2 will directly replace the G2's bezel but will need an A19 body extension to hold the required third SF123A battery (the N2 requires three-SF123A batteries).
SureFire%20G2-old%20A19-KT2%2064.jpg

The MN16 High Output Lamp Assembly can be used in the KT2 in the above setup.

Size15's

Flashaholic

The AN14 is the extension for the G2 so that it can hold the B65 NiCad battery stick (for the P60 Lamp). It is longer than an A19 (which is holds a single SF123A battery).

P98.jpg

SureFire's battery spacers (blanks) look like this:
P97.jpg

Trying to use AN14's instead of A19's is not an ideal situation (you'd have to cut-down a battery spacer to take up the extra length, or use two AN14's which would make the body much longer then it needs (and use battery spacer(s) to make up the difference).

Al

Knife_Sniper

Newly Enlightened

Your recepies are amazing! I understand the need for the battery spacer now as the 4 pack of nicad batteries are 1.5 volts each for 6 volts. (DOH and DUH) I had never seen the A19 untill your post.

Thanks for the recepies. I know my friend Ish will be utilizing one of these nitrolon recepies for the arcade.
I will using one as well.

KahveOrta

Newly Enlightened

What about a G2 with P90/91 running on 2 R123s? There's a lengthy discussion here

Greg

Newly Enlightened

Or since you were planning on going the costly route anyway with turboheads and all, why not have the G2 with P90/1 for a really bright light and get something inexpensive like the PM6 when you need a little bit more throw.

An inexpensive 2c Mag mod with 3 cr123 isn't bad either.

However, you did only ask for the G2 mods. Sorry, I got carried away.

Greg

Knife_Sniper

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Or since you were planning on going the costly route anyway with turboheads and all, why not have the G2 with P90/1 for a really bright light and get something inexpensive like the PM6 when you need a little bit more throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh i dont know if its too expensive. I can get my KT2 for $80 bucks and a A19 for $18. I can also switch the turbohead over to my C3 centurion for when I want something more robust. When I am in a cave I really wouldnt like swapping a KT2 head onto any platform as the grit of the mud could get on the threads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Not to mention I would require a fellow caver to illuminate me while I changed out the head.

Here is one of the typical passages of my favorite cave.

01540013.jpg

Luna

Enlightened

Yeah but he doesn't have 10000lights all over the floor either.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

The G2 Nitronal is a very nice light, and esp. for $ 30, great. I frankly think it is a mistake to try to use plastic of any kind to hold high power bulbs, incan or LED. Once again, I revert to the experts, but a P60 or equiv LED is about max in my book.

If your friend wants a really bright light for use in a darkened arcade and has to go to that much trouble, get an L4. There are brighter lights and more throw, but the L4 will not be pleasant for anyone to look into.