26000 mcd leds

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I have heard about how much brighter they are, but i want to compare them to other led lights, like those on flashlightreviews.com. does anybody know the lux ratings of these lights so I can compare them? I would like to know the throw and overall output. Any comments would help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif
thanks

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIR the OLD standard was 9600mcd. I have changed out several LED lights with 20kmcd's I got from ebay. It is hard to tell exactly, but they all seem about twice as bright.
Jeff

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took a before/after measurement of total light output (by putting light directly onto detector of my light meter) of 26K LED swaps to 1AAA and 1AA Dorcy lights. It doubled (maybe a hair more) the total light output in all cases - and really improved the color and usefulness of each light for the better. A very, very worthwhile upgrade.

Also opened up the front of the "reflector" of the 1AA dorcy which increased the size of the beam and maybe boosted the output a little.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't have measurements for its brightness too, but suffice to say that it makes a big difference to the naked eye. I swapped out the led from one of the Photon clones for a 26kmcd led, and compared them side by side, almost double the output seems quite accurate.
While we're on this topic, did I read somewhere that the 26kmcd leds are also more efficient than the normal ones, i.e. draw less power from the batteries?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
While we're on this topic, did I read somewhere that the 26kmcd leds are also more efficient than the normal ones, i.e. draw less power from the batteries?

[/ QUOTE ]
They draw less power for the same amount of light, meaning that if you ran a 9600 mcd LED at 20 mA you can now run the 26,000 mcd LED at maybe 6 mA for the same output.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
For direct replacements the lower Vf of most 26k LEDs may end up overdriving them more than the original which would make them brighter. I tried to get my dorcy 1AAA apart and it wont budge without taking drastic measures, has anyone measured the before/after current draw of the 26k LEDs vs original?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:

[/ QUOTE ]
They draw less power for the same amount of light, meaning that if you ran a 9600 mcd LED at 20 mA you can now run the 26,000 mcd LED at maybe 6 mA for the same output.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification, jtr! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif