About Bug Out Gears' upcoming 5W LED drop-in....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
About Bug Out Gears\' upcoming 5W LED drop-in....

I am desperately waiting for more news on this thing. One thing that I'm hoping is that its' heatsinked in such a way that it can be used in G2/G2Z. I'm also hoping that its regulated (or semi) to give 65 lumens or more for a whole hour before dropping off...

Anyone care to comment or add their own dreams for this thing? The only thing I probably won't like is that it will be made in China or someplace like that... but I will still get one!!

mateen

Enlightened
Re: About Bug Out Gears\' upcoming 5W LED drop-in....

Please, please, oh please tell me it'll work with my G2...

Torch

Newly Enlightened
Re: About Bug Out Gears\' upcoming 5W LED drop-in..

What you talking 'bout, Willis?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know the 3W LED drop-in lamp replacements for the Surefire G2, 6P, 9P, etc.? Well, theres' a 5W (65lumen) version in the works. However, there is some debate on whether it will work in the Nitrolon models due to heat not transfer thru the Nitrolon as well as aluminum. We're desperatly waiting more information.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two things worry me about this idea:

1. Heat dissipation: Perhaps this will be acceptable if it is restricted to use in metal-bodied flashlights.

2. Throw: The LuxIII module already has a nearly perfect balance of throw and flood that certain LuxV lights (e.g. the L4) lack. The only decently throwing LuxV flashlights have reflectors that are very large, and this type of reflector will be difficult to incorporate into a drop-in module.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you make it so I can put it into a $20 brinkman 2CR123 light, like the P61 I've got in one now, I'll definitely get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

First, let me say that the 3 drop-ins I bought are bitchin!!! Second, let me say that if a 5W is similarly packaged, and driven near their 700mA spec, the temperature rise of the module in a G2 will rise to Luxeon-killing levels in minutes! I tried to bring this up in BOG's thread on the subject, and ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Could it be underdriven sufficiently to "live" in a G2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Look at the temp rise on an L4, with a lot more thermal mass and surface area. They get very hot and the Lux5 is (guessing) driven to spec. tanstaafl!

Larry

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it is regulated. I'll buy one for my Z3
I would love to see a decent lux module for the PILA GL3R. That would be incredible

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened

Larry is right. As of today, I do not forsee the 5W being something suited for a G2 driven at its current specs. I do not think we will see this product anytime soon, not to mention the LuxIII drop in has the best of both worlds.

Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not anytime soon? Whats that mean? Is it not coming out at all now?

rgc

Newly Enlightened

I just want the 3w to be back in stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

rgc

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

James, just grind out the head of the legend xl and it will fit like the p61 lamp. I went back and forth between the two lamps and put the p61 in the 3w bag to keep on my shelf.

At that, the head does get warm with a few minutes use.

I am mixed on this too. I have heard the 5w units are not as bright or efficient as the 3w, so that is fine with me at this time. The 3w is damn close to what the p61 does on used batteries. It has the same spot and throw for 3 car lengths roughly then it starts to fade off. The blue tint makes it seem brighter though. It makes my dorcey 1 watt light looks like the stubby brinkmann moon beam light.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

rgc -

TPWDDA?

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened

...and the 3W drop-ins with some luck should be here next week!

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com

CEJ

Newly Enlightened

There WAS a 5W version for the drop-in-module (P60 compatible) before but it was meant for 9V input voltage. I have use 2x RCR123 (fully charged, 8.4V) to power it before & it worked fine, but frankly it got really HOT pretty fast...

5wdimodule1ly.jpg

rgc

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
rgc -

TPWDDA?

The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, another parent . . . you got it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I think we don't need a 5watt drop in. Just raise the imput voltage to the led of the 3watt drop-in to 500mA or so, maybe 700mA's. The 3watt drop-in only pulls 500mA's from my battery with 2 RCR 123's, and 600mA's from two Cr123's, so led is probably getting about 300+ mA's. Added voltage to led would raise the lumen rating of the 3watt drop in to maybe 50+ lumens or so. Plenty bright, with less heat than a 5 watter. Lux would improve, also side spill.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

You mean overdrive the 3W? You can do that? What batteries would you recommend? Runtime, etc.?

CEJ - where did you get that, do they still make it?

CEJ

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:

CEJ - where did you get that, do they still make it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had supplied some of these to my local customers before, but not anymore... well, they preferred beam-thrower over wall-of-light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Is the factory still making it? If there is a big order, I guess they will!