Seoul Semiconductor Power z-Led distributors?

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I've been anxiously following the news about the power z-led and haven't been able to find out where to get one in North America (if even possible) - I can't get very far on their web site as it just locks up with that 'processing' progress bar - could be a good led to play with while we are waiting for the K2 Luxeon - anybody know where they are available? Thanks!

lotsaluck

Newly Enlightened
They are available and if you don't have a local contact yet you should email Seoul direct and ask who is representing them close to you. All purchases still go direct to Seoul but they are easy to work with and deliver to us MUCH quicker then Lumiled. They are very available in the U.S. and anxious for orders. Compny rep's come into town every month to handle questions etc.

We are cuurently overdriving these at 3 times rated without fail but our heat sinks are water cooled. We've known for 2 years that Seoul would quickly overtake the market and with this part they will, in short order unless the competition gets off their arse's quick.

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Do you know if they do small volume orders (I'd probably be looking at around 10 or 20 just to try first)? I'm going to e-mail them as well but I'm just looking for a nice easy way to get a hold of a bunch - maybe do a group buy even if enough people are interested - I'm assuming Canada is no problems either too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Well, I e-mailed the rep for Canada (from their website) about pricing and minimum order qty so I'll post here as soon as I receive a reply - hopefully the parts are decently priced and I don't need to order something like 1000!

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Yep, that one especially, but I'm also curious as to the 2.5 watt version as well - no reply as of today, but I'll keep everyone posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Wow... didn't know they were different parts - was getting a little confused when looking over their site (it is not very Mac friendly at all - I can't access any of the web site unless I use internet explorer on a PC) - I'd definately go for that one as well - I'll see what info they give me when they get back to me though.

EDIT: I know why I got the Power z-led and the P3 Z-led confused - when I was trying to find the datasheets for the P3 one it only had 1 watt versions (at least that was the only datasheet I could find) while the power z-led had 1, 2.5 and 5 watt versions - both look interesting, but I think most of us would prefer the wider lambertian viewing angle for the use of optics - the other link you posted though mentioned that the price of the regular power-led was about $16.30USD - I wonder if the P3 is the same and how many I need to get... just play the waiting game now until they answer back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Well, 3 days and still no reply yet - maybe they aren't as anxious for customers as lotsaluck had thought... lostaluck: any particular person or contact I should e-mail? I e-mailed the Canada rep from their contact page and have heard nothing back yet...

Guess I'll just keep waiting - hope they do reply though, I really wanted to try these leds...

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Finally got a reply - had to contact a USA rep to get a reply - still in talks, for more details check out the group buy forum. Thanks!

vacuum3d

Enlightened
newbie, just wondering if you had a chance to play with these leds yet. I wanted to find out whether the light from these leds can be easily focus using the the garden variety of reflectors and optics.

thx,
ernest

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
I would imagine that a reflector like the Mag one would do pretty well with the parts without a lense (NewBie's parts) since the viewing angle is close to 120 degrees. Other parts are available that have 70 degree optics on them, and the new P3 series is Lambertian with almost exactly the same dimensions as the Lumileds part so that one should work - only available in 1 watt versions right now unfortunately!

vanalog

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
I got the F10390 (RGB), W10290, W10190 two weeks ago.

Interesting parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you be willing to share how you acquired these?

I am interested in the F10392 RBG star, and was quoted about $20 each (including shipping) by the Sales Manager in Korea. This plus the T/T bank charge would make the samples cost more than $25 each.

Have you been able to get any better prices on small orders from USA reps?

SSC seems to really be out to take on Lumileds, but they need to get into distribution to get wider exposure.

Can anyone else comment on the supply chain for SSC LED's

I am aware of Smitty244's Group Buy feeler, but he is initially looking at the white products only.

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
From my talks with them it might be important to pass on a few things:

First, contact the USA reps on their webpage or the last page of their spec PDFs - I was able to have great success in obtaining wholesale pricing even for small orders with them. One thing to be concerned about - their amazing flux levels are for bins that are as rare as the U or X bins with Lumileds - I asked about the high flux bins and in reality unless you are ordering in the thousands their available bins end up breaking down as follows:

1 watt = 32-54 lumens (Q/R Lux I)
2.5 watt = 54-91 lumens (S/T Lux III)
5 watt = 118.5-200 lumens (V/W Lux V)

Pricing ends up being similar to what you can by from Future, but the only choice you get is a limiting to 3 or 4 different possible tints. In addition, the Lambertian lense is only available in the 1 watt version - and though I can't speak for the quality of the parts themselves (they seem fine), with the K2 so close and with this new knowledge about the bins actually available it doesn't exactly seem especially remarkable anymore...

Ocelot

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
smitty244 said:
with the K2 so close and with this new knowledge about the bins actually available it doesn't exactly seem especially remarkable anymore...

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine that... What with all the folks ragging on Lumileds regarding their specs, you'd think everyone else are saints...

Scott

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Yep - at least the Luxeon specs advertised are what you will actually get (with the exception of their bump of the Luxeon I - I've yet to receive any R-bins out of the last 50 or so Lux I stars I've ordered despite their claim of 45 lumens typical) - a Lux III is advertised as 65 lumens typical (S-bin), a Lux V with 120 (V-bin)... when if Lumileds was following the advertising of some competitors it could be claiming 114 lumens for the Lux III (U-bin) or 240 lumens for the Lux V (X-bin)...