Tax-Free Flashlights

Madjac

Newly Enlightened
Greetings Flashaholics, nice community you guys have here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
My home state of Florida is having a sales tax holiday for hurricaine prep supplies. This includes flashlights! Hooray.
The problem is that lights can't cost more than twenty bucks. Sigh.
What would you guys stock up on?
Right now I'm thinking about getting some more Costco 1W LEDs and maybe some Dorcy 1xAAAs. Stuff must be purchased in stores in Florida by 6/12.
Thanks in advance.
P.S.
Yes, batteries are exempt too, but what's fun about that?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hello and welcome to cpf.i highly recomend led lights cause a course the bulbs dont break if light is droped and longer run times.i realy like the dorcy aaa.s perhaps a enegizer folding led light they have em at big lots cheap.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF!

You might want to pick up a few Energizer Folding Fluorescent Lanterns from Home Depot. I think they are about $14. They run for 20 hours on both tubes and 40 hours on one tube.

The Dorcy 1LED 1AAA at Walmart for $5.94 runs for about 3 hours on 1AAA.

Headlamps are very useful for power outages. I recommend one LED headlamp for each person in the family.

greenLED

Flashaholic
welcome madjac! You'd better stock up on Infinity Ultras. If you can find the "old" style CMG/Gerber, even better. The old style has a round lug at the end and it switches on/off by rotating the bezel. The new style has the switch on the back.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
welcome madjac! You'd better stock up on Infinity Ultras. If you can find the "old" style CMG/Gerber, even better. The old style has a round lug at the end and it switches on/off by rotating the bezel. The new style has the switch on the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Madjac,
The Infinity Ultra is a very good light that runs for about 10 hours on 1AA battery. It is about the same brightness as a Dorcy 1LED 1AAA, but the Infinity Ultra is higher quality than the Dorcy. It has 1 LED. These are task lights that are small enough to carry in your pocket. They aren't real bright, but they are bright enough to be very useful for a lot of tasks. They are bright enough to see where you're walking or to read by.

avusblue

Enlightened
Head for your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart and pick up a few of those $3.50 Ozark Trail 6V lanterns (the price includes the battery). The quality is surprisingly good, the throw is great and the beam is bright. Great for general home/garage use and keeping them in the trunk of the car. They're so cheap I find myself buying a new replacement after using the "old" one for just a couple hours. Why buy a new battery and frankly, why run one with a partially depleted battery, when they're so cheap!

And certainly those $5.94 Dorcy 1AAA LEDs keep making it into my cart as well!

Cheers,

Dave

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Madjac, welcome to CPF, and why dontcha stay awhile. Too bad, not heading to Fla. until the 17th!

thanks anyway, and welcome again!
daloosh