2/3-Cell 2-Stage G2 with BOG 3W Drop-in Module

Illuminated

Enlightened
Given the advent of the affordable BOG 3W SF drop-in modules and the popularity of using them in the SF G2's, I (like many others) had a desire to incorporate the 2-stage switch concept to make this combo the perfect affordable quality LED light.

I already had an older G2 (non-LOTC) with UCL lens from flashlightlens.com, and had also purchased the matching battery tube extender and battery spacer directly from Surefire. I had previously shortened the battery spacer to allow the use of the P90/91 LA's on 3 x 123's. This has all worked out just fine, but now I wanted the option of a 2-level setup that would allow me to run 2 x 123 or 3 x 123 battery setup in the G2 using the BOG 3W SF drop-in LED module.

McGizmo has already revealed how to adapt the McE2s module to the SF "Classic" in this thread here (Thanks Don), but this was only part of the solution to getting it to work in the G2. The button top for the G2 needed to be made from scratch (or modified from the original) so I made a new one to make the McE2s module and resistor board adapter ring work with the G2.

Now, for a few pics...

img1044a2fu.jpg

img1045a6mi.jpg

img1046a0xd.jpg

img1049a7kg.jpg

img1051a7rv.jpg

The results were quite satisfying. I chose the 30-ohm resistor board, as this seems to give a sufficient low level output using either the 2 or 3 cell configuration.

The bottom line is that I now have an easily convertible 2 x 123 or 3 x 123 setup based on the G2 that works quite nicely, 2-stage switch and all. I can also revert back to the incan setups if needed - so many possibilities with it now...

Of course, it won't replace my Aleph-1, but it'll certainly save some wear and tear on it, given that I don't have nearly as much invested in the G2 as the Aleph.

Thanks to all who contributed to the ideas used here (you know who you are...)

Also, thanks to Imageshack for hosting the pics.

John

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is an interesting setup. Certainly a lot of options in that setup. I have previously been very hesitant about the P91 and other "higher heat load" options in the Nitronol body. What is your impression of the thermal aspects of this setup ?

Illuminated

Enlightened
I haven't used the P91 very much, but it seems to handle heat from the P90 just fine. The LED module does also generate some heat, but no isues thus far.

The Nitrolon is pretty heat resistant, AFAICT. Some sort of glass-filled Nylon or similar. Does not get soft when moderately heated like other plastics.

I think there are many others who use the P61 in the G2 - perhaps they can offer some info on any heat isues.

John

mmattoon

Newly Enlightened
John,

Nice combination of mods. Is the battery spacer just a cut down false cell? I've wanted a G3 for a while. This may be as close as I can get.
The Nitrolon seems to handle heat well. I've run a P91 in a G2 head with UCL with no problem so far.

Mark

Illuminated

Enlightened
Thanks Mark - yes, spacer was cut from a Surefire battery spacer (can't remember the part number).

I think this must be the most versatile light I have in terms of LE/lamp and battery combinations.

John

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work John! I like it alot. Flexible, rugged and far more expendable than the boutique lights we so often buy.

Well done.

Wilkey

Illuminated

Enlightened
Thanks Wilkey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is almost hard to call a "mod" since the only modded parts were the batt spacer and the switch.

None of the ideas used here were mine - the credit goes to many others.

It's become my workhorse beater light.

John