HDS: how many use a clip, lanyard, or naked?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
The clip is cruddy as we all know. I have it on but may take it off. I have the screws from arewethereyetdad, thanks dad!!

What are you doing with your HDS? How do you carry it? Clip, lanyard, or naked?

dtsoll

Enlightened
I have the clip on mine, mainly because it's the only way I can think of to use it with a lanyard! I am hoping others will chime in with pics of how they do it without the clip!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flashboy

Newly Enlightened
I have my clip attached as I like to occaisionally clip the light to my ballcap. This makes it nice when I want to work on something and have both hands free.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I carry mine in a TAD gear sheath, fits nice its in the horizontal carry, but on a vertical strap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

HDSHouse.jpg

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw in another thread that someone screwed on a small metal tab to their HDS, to which a lanyard was attached. That was pretty neat.

I'm not a clip person, as I'm afraid of losing a light that way. I've lost 2 pocket knives in the last couple of years, and they were clipped to the inside of a front pocket.

When I carry the HDS, its usually just riding in a front pocket.

best regards

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
I bent my clip on my Basic 60 the first day I got it. I now use the clip off my ARC 4+ and like it a lot. I have a very short lanyard attached, just enough to slip one of my fingers in and cinch it snug while using it. I do clip it onto my waist band on a few occasions, but normally it rides in my waistbag with my other EDC stuff.

nethiker

Enlightened
I carry mine in a sheath from AW most of the time. When I use the clip over my belt, I slip an o-ring around the bottom of the light and clip to secure it. The o-ring also improves my grip when handling the light.

I thought I saw some mention of a titanium clip somewhere, or was that just a dream?

Greg

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Mines the one with a lanyard and metal tab, the metal tab is off a leatherman and It fits just fine, the other option is to make one out of somthing like a uni-ball pen's S/steel clip
find the pics here
Mark

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
It all depends on the clothing or PPE (personal protective equipment)
that I am wearing at the time. I use the Surefire L1 a lot and sometimes
I use the clip with light inside my pocket. I sometimes use a 24" lanyard
while wearing different PPE during a HazMat response with the light in
a pocket or clipped a belt or harness. On one occasion I clipped the L1
to the bill of my ball cap for a hands free use. Being that the L1 is only
about 5" long, I sometimes just drop it into my field jacket pocket. As
to being naked, .... I just carry it in my right or left hand.

This flashlight stuff can be intoxicating ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even if the clip were perfect I probably wouldn't like it. I use a full coverage sheath with accidental discharge protection. I have a 1/2" wide loop of bicycle inner tube at the waist of the light for my teeth.

As I've said before, I'd buy a nice, HD, arched lanyard attachment that used the existing belt clip holes if it would accept any lanyard that would directly fit through the hole of the ARC AAA -- as IMO that is about the smallest hole that will accept a REAL lanyard without some Mickey Mouse split ring or flimsy dental floss contrivance. I don't think that there would be a problem fitting a sheath as long as the device is designed well enough to withstand the forces generated within the sheath itself, which would be the harshest conditions by far that any lanyard attachment would have to face on the EDC.

mpetty

Newly Enlightened
I carry mine without the clip. My preference would be to clip a lanyard at the tail of the light not likely to loose it while it is attached to me. But since that isn't an option. I happily carry it without. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with dtsoll in that I have the clip on there mainly to serve as a hitching point for a lanyard. The way I have it set up (sorry, a description will have to suffice; no pic capability) is that the lanyard is there if I need it, but most of the time it stays tucked away.

I use a split ring through the hole in the end of the clip to attatch a lanyard from an Infinity Ultra. Then, with the split ring folded back against the clip toward the bezel end, I wind the lanyard around the waist, furthest toward the bezel first, going under the clip with each coil. The lanyard happens to be the perfect length so that when wound neatly and tightly the tab rests just next to the opening of the clip and the cord is held in place by it. In this way, the only part of the lanyard that sticks out is the tab.

The coils of cord around the waist make a great grip and nothing gets tangled. If I need a lanyard, I mearly pull out the tab from under the clip and it unravels. I carry the HDS in my front pocket with my wallet and it has never unravelled accidentally. The light may not be as "elegant" with this set up, but the security of being able to secure the light whenever I want, plus the added grip outweigh the aesthetic concerns.

JohnF

Enlightened
I use the clip, HDS inside the pocket, still leaves room for the palm pilot. My seatbelt did catch it the other day getting out of my car, sending the HDS to the pavement. No damage, other than a tiny nick in the bezel.

John F

Manifest

Newly Enlightened
I use the clip for carry in front pocket. I bent it so it clips a bit tighter the first day I got it.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:

... As I've said before, I'd buy a nice, HD, arched lanyard attachment that used the existing belt clip holes if it ... or flimsy dental floss contrivance.

[/ QUOTE ]

the phone loop (dental floss!) works just fine, I'm also in the process of having a brass version of the attachment your on about made, but i have a feeling the dental floss aproach gives a lower profile attachment,

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
...As I've said before, I'd buy a nice, HD, arched lanyard attachment that used the existing belt clip holes if it would accept any lanyard that would directly fit through the hole of the ARC AAA -- as IMO that is about the smallest hole that will accept a REAL lanyard without some Mickey Mouse split ring or flimsy dental floss contrivance. I don't think that there would be a problem fitting a sheath...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
markbUK said:

the phone loop (dental floss!) works just fine, I'm also in the process of having a brass version of the attachment your on about made, but i have a feeling the dental floss aproach gives a lower profile attachment,

[/ QUOTE ]

Emphasis mine.

Been there, done that. Good luck with the dental floss. The profile will even be lower yet if you lose your light! I would hope that if the worst case happens and you do lose your light you will not be participating in some activity where the loss of your light kills you. That is a real factor which must be considered for some users.

If you don't do things where the loss of your light could be fatal, fine, you may not need a REAL lanyard. If losing your light would be the only consequence of breaking your lanyard and you are prepared to absorb the replacement cost and hassle -- whatever.

A lanyard hole the size of the one on an ARC AAA will not prevent anyone from using a dental floss lanyard (or a split ring) with it if they wish, but if the hole is too small this fine light will be automatically ruled out for many serious tasks for that reason alone. This light was never designed for the average user and they don't buy lights like this. They make fine desk toys but I don't think that's all that Henry had in mind for them. Ironically, a great light in this class without an attachment point for a REAL lanyard will tend to limit its demographic by disqualifying it for those who need a heavy-duty light for the most demanding of situations.

Let's cover just one more thing. Please set me straight if I'm wrong on this, but am I correct in assuming that most who are using a lanyard with their EDCs are attaching it to the hole created by 'expanding' the metal at the end of the belt clip? Aside from some of the very serious design flaws of the dental floss lanyard in general which haven't even been mentioned here yet, has anyone noticed that this hole on the clip looks exactly like the blades on a pair of scissors -- right where they come in contact with each other and do the cutting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In the unlikely event that I ever changed my mind and decided to use a dental floss lanyard, in spite of all of its flaws, I would never attach it to a hole that has four spots build into it that look just like the business end of a pair of scissors.

Having said that, bear in mind that I am a great fan of this terrific light and any comments which I make about it that may appear negative have mainly been stated so that any potential EDC buyer who needs a REAL lanyard will be able to search the CPF database and more easily determine whether or not this light will meet his needs.

I wouldn't give up mine for anything and I am confident that either Henry or some third party will offer a high quality lanyard solution for those who require it.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Hmm I agree with everything you said, my dental floss lanyard was/is one solution while I sort out a better attachment, however in the not so hostile environment of getting to and from the pub along an unlit coastal path it's OK, I'm using the lug attached to one of the screw points for exactly the reason you've stated about the clip and its "scissor" shaped hole.

Differing uses require different setups for this light, modes of carry, lanyards, option settings and so on, so for "serious tasks" by the "non average user" or those that need a "heavy duty light" a more robust approach to lanyards may be required. or indeed they may need to buy a mag light!

Mark

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep the clip on, use a little split ring in the end of the clip and hook my inaugural US grand prix lanyard to
the clip. and either wear it around my neck or put it in a small "EDC products" pouch the is hooked on my maxpedition man purse i carry all my my other crap in.

I chose the lanyard on the clip because I didn't like the layard ring on waist of the light, I use a cigar grip 90% of the time. plus i like it pointing down more then that ring would do.

I got the pouch with a small knife at some tourist trap in FL, it's well made but could use a larger area of velcro ,It's been open a couple of times when I went to get my light, but I have done a few searchs on google for "EDC products" but never did find a site or dealer, no luck. If someone know's were to get them let me know.It was inexpensive, and fit's the light W/clip well. VDG