Lights that work with rechargeable 123s

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone out there compiled a list of lights that work with one or two rechargeable 123s of the 4.2v variety? An environmentally concious friend of mine bought some of these and a charger from batterystation and found out that they won't work in his Dorcey Spyder. Primarily interested in LED lights, but would consider incans also.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new McLuxIII PD is specifically designed to work with either CR123A or RCR123A batteries. It uses the Wiz2x2 converter, which is both a buck and boost converter.

An Aleph with a CR123A body and a Downboy converter will work with both types of cells. My light is a VG FB1 with a Downboy 917. Admittedly the Downboy will be in direct drive using a CR123A cell.

I put a Vital Gear FB1 body with an SF L4 head and it works very well.

I also have a VG FB1 body with the FB2 head and a BOG SF drop-in. Nice and bright with a good spill light and a distinct throw beam.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This one, like already pointed out, was designed for both primary and R123 cells:

McLuxIII-PD.jpg

Click here to learn more about it ...

In general, any light using a Wiz2 converter (mostly found in the Aleph Series) is happy to run on protected and unprotected (safety cut-off at 2.5V) Li-Ions as well as primaries (LuxIII at reasonable drive levels).

The DownBoy is a less ideal solution since it will mostly be in DD and not too impressing on 1x123 but offers the option of using more than one Li-Ion or primary cell in series.

Of course the is the NexGen BadBoy (NG) ... a highly efficient boost converter that accpets Li-Ions.

If you wanna learn more about those and the custom light associated with them visit the Sandwich Shoppe forum and the McGizmo foum.

Then there is the LionCub that is specifically designed around the R123 cell made by MrBulk (look at current threads).

You could also buy a suitable sandwich and put it in one of DSpecks FireFlies ...

And many more ...

The possibilities are nearly endless these days as our makers and modders offer really great lights!

It would help if you defined your needs first to narrow the choices down.

bernie

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Is Bernie converted to Rechargeable batteries ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Never trust a converted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And I have a nice Chop Flashligth which accept R123 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Here my list : (tested with R123 from JSBurly's) :

Nuwaii Q3
Arc4+
Chop one of a Kind
LC
Aleph2

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Pascal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif ... forget it, I do not even HAVE a R123. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But of course I am trying to be of service and offer some explanations concerning the stuff I am famiiliar with. Of course I missed many /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Nice to have you around more often, old Frenchman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif !

bernie

P.S.: thanx to JSB I *do* have some PILAs though and I even use them round the house (where there's always a primary ready to save me) ...

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my JSBurlys exclusive lights that will be released soon will work with those. Light release #3 will be Pila and I think light release #5 will be r123

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
All,

thanks for your responses. Unfortunately I have been unable to convince my buddy he needs a more expensive light. He may try to return his purchase or sell it on ebay. <shame> I feel I've failed as a flashoholic. I'll turn in my (imaginary) membership card if requested. </shame>

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel bad. How many people are astonished at the price paid for a good light? For only a couple of $$ they don't mind a poor, yellow, warped, ringy beam from the cheapest flashlight they can find. But when it comes to wearing glasses or shades then only the best go in front of their precious, irreplaceable eyes. They do this so they can sharply see a bad flashlight beam in front of their eyes and...they are happy! Go figure that one out.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am using two Battery Space RCR123's in my Nuwai ALX-352L, two Battery Space RCR123's in my Surefire C2 with P90 or P91 LA, and two Battery Station RCR123's in 6P with BOG 3W drop in.

Bill

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried one (Battery Space) with an OLD ARC LS (first run # 2294) Kind of scary to do so, but it survived about 25 minutes of total run time, 2 to 10 minutes at a time with no apparent problems.

Didn't get MUCH hotter, but WAY brighter than with a Standard (Battery Station) 123 cell.

Here are a few measurements:

New Battery Station 123 lithium primary:
3.23V no load
470ma current draw,
215 LUX (1 Meter)

Battery Space 123 rechargable: (It sat around about 24 hours after its first time charge):
No load voltage: 3.998V
Current draw: 351.0 ma
325 LUX

After 10 minutes, 5 minutes on, 5 off, 5 back on:
293 LUX

After about 20 minutes intermittant:
3.6V no load on battery,
375.0 ma
257LUX

I'll probably be nervous about burning out one of my old ARC LSs using them, but it is nice to know that it does work for a while at least in my particular test light, and puts out a significantly higher level of brightness.

Your results may vary.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The first run Arc LS's were voltage regulated, and is probably safer than running RCR123's in later current regulated LS's.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
I am using two Battery Space RCR123's in my Nuwai ALX-352L, two Battery Space RCR123's in my Surefire C2 with P90 or P91 LA, and two Battery Station RCR123's in 6P with BOG 3W drop in.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I am also using the unprotected RCR123a cells from BatterySpace to power my Nuwai ALX-352L & SL TT-2L3W and everything works fine...

Thanks Bill for the tips...

Dave