Laser pointer selection help needed

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
I never would have thought I would have ergonomic problems with a laser pointer but, guess what - that day has come.

I had a presentation that lasted about 2 hours which was 1 hour longer then anticipated thanks to a heckler who gave me the opportunity to demonstrate I really did my homework. Anyway, I had one of those laser pointers that everyone else seems to have. Normally I use a stick pointer but, this screen was about 16 feet high and ~40 feet wide and that was not an option. I was given a laser pointer which had a little silver ball on the barrel to turn it on. A few hits here and there were no big deal. As the presentation got buried into details, that little ball seemed to loose continuity in the circuit causing the beam to turn off. Beating the barrel in my palm helped marginally but, I found myself pressing harder to keep it lit. My thumb still has some numbness 3 days later but, each day the feeling gets better.

I am looking for the following features in a laser pointer:
<ul type="square">[*]One that has a large surface to turn it on for momentary contact
[*]A model that has a constant on
[*]A model that will burn for at least 2 hours continuous use without overheating or cutting out
[*]One with good ergonomic design
[*]One that won't slip out of my hand under hot lights
[*]One with a beam bright enough and large enough to show up on a bright screen
[*]Reasonable price
[/list]

Your help is appreciated!

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
Some posts from Bronco on BladeForums preceded this follow up

First, the Homer Simpson "doh!" for not checking CPF first. On the flip side, there seems to be a lot of business professionals who visit this forum so, I was thinking they probably had this figured out since I am looking for a business tool and not a toy.

Thank you for the great links. They have provided a lot of good reading. I am going to stay with the Class IIIA rated lasers since I will be using these in auditoriums and conference rooms with "bright" surfaces (reflection concerns) and it will most likely be shared with other people who will not honor special considerations with a laser pointer that is not eye safe. This is a business presentation and not combat by PowerPoint after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, so eye damage and other potential negative effects are not something to play with - ethical and legal consideration are a whole different class of reasons why I am limiting myself to the 5mW and under models.

The GP5 is $94 shipped and looks promising but, the crappy pictures show what appear to be that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif EVIL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif brass bead momentary contact.

The GPL-105 here and on Ebay, looks promising at ~$60 delivered.

Being unable to test drive either of them myself makes this a little bit of blind purchase since I cannot get a feel for the ergonomics other then what I can see in a really fuzzy picture taken at bad angles.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
The Atlas Nova models cost $88 delivered as well so, they are under consideration.

I have gotten some feedback that these can be Chinese Junk so, I am a little concerned and don't want to throw away $60 to $100 on something that won't work in the long run.

I welcome your thoughts on the laser pointer subject for people like myself. I want to keep the price under $100USD but, I can go up if there is a real reason to. Ideally, I'm looking for something in the $50 range so the GPL-105 looks very tempting.

Just so there is absolutely no confusion - I am looking for business presentation tool and not a toy or gadget to play with. I may play with it on the weekends or late at night in a hotel room for fun but, it is first a business tool in all uses.

THANKS in advance!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
"The Curve" from Bigha seems to fit your need perfectly.

bighanew.jpg

It is bright and legal (<5mW fully regulated power) and green /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
It uses a CR123 battery and can stay on for hours because of built-in heat regulation and a great battery. It looks silly, but will fit well in your hand.
The interface is a UI that allow for constant as well as momentary on.

The only problem is price ... which should be over $100 IIRC.

Look at www.bigha.com

bernhard

LaserMod

Enlightened
This laser is for the ladies... especially the pink one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Lol, lets not get into that again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

BTW: A standard Jasper from Bigha (without the curves) - has a constant switch too.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yepp, but as this switch is located at the rear end it might be uncomfortable to use in a 2 hour period ...

About the shape of the curve ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And I'd choose the pink one, just because I am so cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

bernhard

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
I would vote Jasper, mine has a large button (diameter of a pencil) that's easy to press momentary or on, red indicator LED, and a plastic cap protector that can even double for a night light. Quality is the best I have seen.

Senecaripple, all Leadlight, CNI, Wicked Lasers, are made in China or Taiwan (republic of China). All of Jaspers lasers are bought from Leadlight, which is one of the better companies for making 5mW lasers.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
well then wl, i guess sid post, you're stuck with some chinese junk, or you'll have to learn how to use a laser pointer correctly w/o breaking the button, else, reduce the screen size so you can use the traditional pointer, and screen all hecklers from your presentation!

Bronco

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
senecaripple said:
well then wl, i guess sid post, you're stuck with some chinese junk

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, the crack about most of these pointers being Chinese junk was made by me, not Sid, on another forum, and I'll own what I said. About 18 months or so ago, based on recommendations garnered from this forum, I gave close to $200 to a company called Z-bolt for an EmeraldFlash GLV5. I used it sparingly a few times, went outCONUS for awhile, came back, used it a couple more times and it completely crapped out on me. The unit was never bumped or jostled in any way and never kept on for more than 15 seconds at a pop. Cumulatively I'd say the unit operated for maybe 5 minutes, and that's being generous.

Perhaps experiences such as mine are the exception and not the rule. I certainly hope so. But I have to say that my laser looks absolutely identical to many of the lasers mentioned thus far. And to this day when I read some of the reviews around here, I really have to wonder. I very recently read a review here for a PGL type laser with nine power settings. IIRC, the top two power settings didn't even work out of the box and yet the unit was given a glowing review. Now please don't misconstrue this as an attack on anyone kind enough to take the time to share their impressions. Nor am I trying to take business away from any legitimate dealers here on CPF. I guess more than anything this is just sour grapes from someone who got burned to the tune of two bills. But when I see the standards of workmanship and reliability to which we hold our manufacturers of flashlights, knives, firearms, etc., I sometimes get the feeling we're giving the laser manufacturers a free pass.

Bottom line- Sid has a legitimate requirement for a unit that will operate for hours at a time. If you guys really think such a unit exists then I would advise him to take your advice.

Bronco

Enlightened
Bernhard,
It looks as if the 'Curve' might do nicely for Sid. How is this company with respect to customer service and what is their warranty policy?

Also, how does something like the following stack up against the units being recommended thus far:

http://mfgcn.com/_wsn/page3.html

LaserFreak

Enlightened
I believe the lasers on that site are just the diodes and driver boards, with no casing. These probably wouldn't be too practical for Sid unless he can fabricate his own casing.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next paycheck the "Curve" is going to be mine - think of the stories it will bring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
That BIGHA curve model looks very very good. The things that keep me from buying it right now are: <ul type="square">
[*]The shape - ergonomics look superior but, the size is such that I wonder if it will always be with me when I need it.
[*]The price - it is really more then I would like to spend, even though it does appear to be a superior unit.
[/list]
I think I will test a lower price model first and make sure I continue on this regime of presentations before I commit the larger sum of money.

Plus, I will need at least one back up so, a quality pencil style model is a reasonable investment.

The Atlasnova is looking very tempting at the moment.

Bronco

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LaserFreak said:
I believe the lasers on that site are just the diodes and driver boards, with no casing. These probably wouldn't be too practical for Sid unless he can fabricate his own casing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may well be right, LF. I was hoping this might make for a viable 'non-Chinese' option.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
Their units, while available in the US, doesn't mean they were made here. They were probably made in China too.

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LaserFreak said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I briefly considered trying something along these lines. With a Mag-lite donor body and a good laser diode setup, it is possible to make one of these but, I really don't have the time or the tools to do it right now.

Sid Post

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
senecaripple said:
well then wl, i guess sid post, you're stuck with some chinese junk, <font color="red"> ... </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so there is no confusion, I do not want a Chinese piece of junk. I am not saying all Chinese products are junk however.

Japan was known for poor quality products. Now look at them.
Korea was known for poor quality products. Now look at them.

China is far behind in some arena's and in others they are not. A lot of company's have learned the lesson of Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest products they possibly can. You get what you pay for.

I have no doubt that China makes good products in some areas. The problem here in the USA is, who is going to pay for the better quality when all people think of is Wal-Mart imported junk?

10 years ago, I wouldn't have purchased a Korean product. Now when I shop for electronics and household items, I look to Korean companies. Why? Quality that is competitive with Japan at a much cheaper price.

10 years into the future, China may be what Korea is today in terms of consumer products.