Sears Craftsman (Dorcy) AAA

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
Hi...was looking in the Sunday Sears circular -- they have an AAA LED that's branded Craftsman but appears to be a Dorcy AAA: Really long url

It's some sort of Father's Day stock up Sunday/Monday half-price special, so it's going for $6 bucks (list looks to be, well, twice that).

unclearty

Enlightened
I just picked up a couple...$6.49..comes with 2 Energizer AA's..and a holster. It is a single led, however...uses a magnifying lens. Will have to disassemble one when I get home.

unclearty

Enlightened
Well...this gets more interesting. This light is different than the 4 LED 2 AA Dorcy. I managed to get the head off. There is an oversized boost circuit..similar to the one in the little Dorcy AAA model. It even has a small heatsink soldered to the board. It all drops out just like the AAA....single 5mm LED soldered onto the board the same way, too. I looked up inside the head and noticed very fine threads. I'm guessing that the head itself will unscrew apart. If this really is the case...drop an emitter in place of the 5mm...remove the magnifying lens and install a decent reflector....bingo!! Not too bad for under $7!
Will tear it all apart at home...where I have real tools.

mrme

Enlightened
I think Craftsman even puts a lifetime waranty on their flashlights. Not that it is worth much to CPFers who will rip it apart and void the waranty.