Pick & Pluck foam for flashlight drawer: Impossibl

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have a chest of drawers for my flashlights and want to buy 1" and 2" Pick & Pluck foam sheets to fill the drawers (about 17" x 17".

I thought they would be easy to find but I'm batting "0" in my search. I just want the sheets sold separately from cases. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

Brightnorm

PS, I've also heard of a hard crushable foam that allows you to press objects (lights) into it and create a permanent form-fitting custom "mold".

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pick & Pluck foam for flashlight drawer: Impossible quest?

www.batterystation.com sells them individually. Look under Pelican cases and you can get the foam replacement set for a reasonable cost. You can get one of the sets meant for the long guns and cut them to fit your drawers.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

double post.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Yes possible, doable?? I have learned to hate "Pick and Pluck" foam. I get it all figured out and pluck away!!
A month or so later I get another light/Bezel/cell/whatever/
that will not fit so I Pluck more or search for "now where the heck did I put that bag of plucked foam??" And attempt to "Fix it" It can drive a guy bonkers. I hope you find what you need and things go better for you. Search Pelican cases and Storm cases you can buy replacement foam.
Good Luck
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rugbymatt

Enlightened

You can also try a store called the Container Store, if they don't have one in your area try online at www.containerstore.com and look under collections on the left side.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pick & Pluck foam for flashlight drawer: Impos

Try casesbypelican.com and look for foam replacements.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

when pelican cases cost to much, check out Telescope cases. they are lighter, dont have atmosphere protection (pressure). and still have plucking phoam.

also, after plucking rubber spray does a far job of 'finishing' your plucking, and can hold the loose squares in longer.
rubber sprays in paint cans, stuff we used is called "poly-shield"

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Very helpful, thanks guys

BN

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh hey, moldables.
you get spray foam, and use garbage bags WET in side, and spray foam in them, its a horrible solution :) but it is sooo cool to see it expand and fill. if the surfaces are WET then the foam will slither along them easily. if its dry it dries and ketches. if you get it ON you, its terrible, and the expansion is very difficult to control. i actually blew a hole in a wall with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

but now at the postal locations they have bags WITH mixable foams IN them, you just pop the foam inserts , and the foam fills the bag up.
some sellers have used them in packaging to make perfect forms around high weight items for shipping.
they are butt UGLY, and if you open them up its to messy to "finish" with some kinda of sprays or glue fabric on.

but foam moldables were another possibility you meantioned. a well done one , that keeps it off the human would be great.

Pila_Power

Enlightened

Hi Norm,

as a rule, I like to keep the border between any items at LEAST two squares thick otherwise it tends to sag and not hold its form as well after time.

Also, with constant removal and use, the little foam joiners between the squares can tear and make for a less firm fit.

If you have items of different sizes, say a charger, you can get all creative tetris style to fit things in. Depends on your workable depth in the drawer.

Enjoy!

Tim.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now why hadn't I thought of using spray foam wall insulating snot? Very creative thinking. Cool trick to put it in a wet plastic bag and use it as a moldable. That would make form fitting an insert for a case not too messy, very shock absorbing, and do-able. Plus you can cut the excess easily to trim the shape of the form. Hmmmm...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've bought cheap black(I guess you could use any color!) crushed velvet or microfiber and then draped it over a plastic bag and then filled the plastic bag.

Then placed the objects on the velvet and pushed to the depth I wanted. Once the foam expanded and hardened, you can trim the backside away to fit whatever size drawer you need to fit.

The velvet or microfiber material then cushions your lights (or guns or whatever) in what looks like a perfect, custom made slot. Make sure you leave enough around the edges to tuck in nicely. The newer stretchable fabrics would probably work even better, but I haven't done it in a few years and would experiment before I decided to make any new ones.

Bill

P.S. The BEST way to do this is make friends with the shipping guys somewhere near you who have access to one of those big, commercial hot foamers. Then use a box of appropriate size and depth and follow the same basic principles. These guys will usually be able to help you get perfect depth and fit without using the guesswork above.