Good bulb for 12V Magcharger?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about putting a 6D Mag body tube on my MC, letting me use two 6V packs. Is there a good bulb for this setup, one brighter than the popular upgrades to the stock MC?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
WA1166 may be your best bet. You'll want overdrive to get the most of your power packs.

Any of the true 12V MR-16 and long life bulbs are unlikely to be very interesting driven on only 12 cells. At spec, they'll be pretty bright, but yellowish unless you go with a Solux or Ushio type color-corrected MR-16. And then, the pins wil be too large in diameter to fit in the MC's pin receivers.

You might want to just try some of the G4 bipin bulbs you can find at Home Depot. I think they will top out at 20-30W.

Wilkey

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
If u have a 6d mag just get a mr16 bulb holder from aw or snoopy ( i think? ) That opens up a lot of bulb choices.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

That'd be a good idea except that this is a MagCharger. The pedestal frame is stamped steel and the inside is a bit more difficult to work around. I think it can be done, I'm just not sure it'd be worth it.

Wilkey

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Oops!! Sorry!! Thanks for catching my error, Wilkey. But do u tink that the 1166 will take the Initial current off the charger. I seem to remember that u wrote of running the 1166 with 9 cells. The MC bipin can take the heat of the 1166 if Abtomat install a mica heatshield.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The WA01160 would doubtless the be the brightest and the whitest compared to a HD 20W G4. The HD20W should be brighter than the stock bulb but not as white and with a larger spot.

Kevin,
I think I'd even consider the WA01154 for use with 9-10 cells. It is 12V, 3.08A for 754 lumens. The difference is its rated life is 500 hours versus only 20 hours for the WA1166.

Wilkey