• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Why not a new McLux?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not a new McLux?

Unlike a lot of lucky people I've never owned a McLux light. I've always thought they were one of the nicest looking lights ever made. The lights are rare and hard to find.

Since I don't have a McLux I don't have a picture of the light. I was hoping someone would post a decent picture of the light in this thread to show how nice looking this light is.

Could a new and updated McLux be made?

There are more options than ever before to install in the light. There are the old standby emitters and new emitters on the horizon. Two-stage, kilroy or electronic dimming options are now available. New converters, soon to be made converters, or even direct drive could be used.

Different sized heads could be designed for the light using Aleph reflectors. A large heat sink in the head of the light could be added in a newly designed head.

There is more battery options that could be used. Li-ion cells are getting common to use in a light. Could a 2xAA extender or even a bigger McLux be designed to use C and/or D cells? The light could use the Surefire E series or the larger Surefire light parts interchangeably.

Other people could add in more options for a new McLux than I could. The McLux could even be considered a premium Aleph line.

I wouldn't mind bringing the old McLux updated and back to life. I know I would like to build a few of them with powerful converters, better and brighter emitters and dimming options.

It would be McLux II – The New Beginning…. Beginning New? Beginning Again? Beginning Super?

Could an updated McLux be built?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hey TrueBlue ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Much of what you are describing has already been covered with the current 3rd revision of the McLux Series, the McLuxIII-PD:

McLuxIII-PD.jpg

... as well as with the McLux-Aleph Series which would correspond to the McLuxII ... and which is an exceptional modular system based on the E-Series dimension:

Alephheads.jpg

Alephbodies.jpg

Alephtailcaps-primary-new.jpg

Now ... I agree that the beauty of the original McLux McLux is still ming of the hill, but the functionality of the new components and lights is so far superior that going back doesn't sound like a real option.

The McLux Evolution:

McLuxhistory.jpg

Some pics of the first McLux Series:

826a47dd.jpg

BlackWidow.jpg

GoldenDragon5W.jpg

McLux2.jpg

Thank you for bringing this up.
A moment of perfect nostalgy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic
TrueBlue,

It seems to me that there are four aspects to the original McLux that I feel are worthy of note:

1) Integral bulkhead so that head is in fact the heat sink for the LED

2) an overall style or appearance that is significantly formed or based on the Kroll Switch and its guard area.

3)A design goal of providing for a useful flood type beam for close to medium range.

4) The limited production of these lights was a novel undertaking by a group of CPF members for CPF members.

With the exception of the Kroll Switch, I suggest that the other aspects are still alive and ongoing. I for one sought a better "clickie" for quite some time and when SF finally provided the Z57 they had also sent me down the path of two stage switchs and for me, the merits of two light levels put the clickie on the shelf. Side Note: I still see references on ocassion about a two stage clickie but have yet to read where one has defined the actual sequence or means of momentary and constant on latching of two levels of light all via a single tail switch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have made a couple prototypes that by definition might be considered two stage clickies but they suck, IMHO and I don't care for the sequence. Difficulty of the mechanics aside, what, in theory, would a two stage clickie do?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I am convinced that it would have inherent limitations which significantly devalue any possible gain.

Now the middle light in the pic below cold certainly be considered a revisit of the original McLux as it hosts the original McLux power pak and conforms reasonably well with the original form:

McEvolution.jpg

Where this light differs is in the front end. It has a more efficent and versatile Wiz2 converter which allows for a multiplicity in battery types and it has LuxIII behind a deep 19 mm reflector which brings a much greater amount of light out of the front end in what I consider to be a very viable flood pattern. I really like the form and overall size of this middle light pictured. I also like the ease of momentary and constant on activation. The light should have two output levels though and it is behind the times significantly because of this deficiency, IMHO. It is certainly possible to install a two level selection in this light accessible by rotation of the head about the tube. But, why? There has been a strong push on CPF for lights as short as possible and the McLux has never been in the running there! The Kroll itself adds considerably to the overall length of the light. I grant that many "real" users of lights enjoy the SF L1 specifically because it has a good useable length to it. OTOH, many are critical of the L1 for the very reason it is so long for a single 123 light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:

Side Note: I still see references on ocassion about a two stage clickie but have yet to read where one has defined the actual sequence or means of momentary and constant on latching of two levels of light all via a single tail switch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I have made a couple prototypes that by definition might be considered two stage clickies but they suck, IMHO and I don't care for the sequence. Difficulty of the mechanics aside, what, in theory, would a two stage clickie do?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I am convinced that it would have inherent limitations which significantly devalue any possible gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in fact you and Wayne a pretty close to the two-stage clicky.
With the different PD lightengines a clicky would be easy to build. Install clicky in tailcap, screw on halfway, press button - low level light, momentary or constant on.
Screw tailcap further down, press again. Full power, again momentary or constant on.
Of course, if you now choose to follow this route you'll have to send me the first light you make using this new technology. ;-)
But seriously, there has to be a reason this approach won't work...

Chrisse

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chrisse,
The level selection is now in the front end with the -x2 drivers. A clickie on the tail with lock out, low and high selected from the front end is doable but the switch itself is not two stage and clickie; just clickie. I have modified a Pelican M6 with an x2 and it behaves in just this manner. This is just a cruder and simplier version of the U2 package, in a sense.

I am much closer to what I would guess would be called a two stage clickie with a small clickie installed in the end of a piston on a PD. You can get mom low with further depression giving you latched on low. Even further depression will get you into momentary high but releasing the button will either leave you in off of constant on low depending on the status of the clickie prior to going for momentary on high. For simple and dependable momentary high or constant on high, the head is just screwed down all the way against the piston. This is an interesting package but hardly intuitive nor do you "know" where your are without some experimentation. This is getting OT from a new McLux anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Chrisse,
The level selection is now in the front end with the -x2 drivers. A clickie on the tail with lock out, low and high selected from the front end is doable but the switch itself is not two stage and clickie; just clickie. I have modified a Pelican M6 with an x2 and it behaves in just this manner. This is just a cruder and simplier version of the U2 package, in a sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess this would be more than enough for many, and actually is working very much like those kroll two stage clickies invented by Daniel if I recall correctly. With the exception that it adds regulation to both levels off course.
You're right, this is OT but there is another thread going on right now maybe we'd better go on there...

Chrisse

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Despite all this new and great technology IMHO the McLux-TK is still the one and only custom light ... it was the first on CPF, and it is still the best looking one.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to the Skunklights Gang! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
bernie

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling, I cant completely agree.
While the McLux TK was a light of firsts.
The unit I acquired was less than stellar.
The tint was not to my liking. The fit of the bezel to the body was less than perfect and it just was not all the light I thought it should be. My McLux TK was one of the only lights I have ever sold here on the CPF. It simply didn't meet my high standard.
I have since built several lights based on the mcLux which were/are wonderful bright and perfect. I have no regret selling my TK McLux none.
I have to say that the Mclux III PD is a light which will ever be sold by me. There is no comparison between this light and that particular McLux tk. The PD while it is not a "system "light is a true tool grade ultra high quality light.
In terms of the look? The attraction of the look of a flashlight is purely subjective. I may love something you may not. I feel that the look of the McLux TC is simply OK I didn't find it earth shattering. It has be surpassed several times when it comes to sheer beauty by the truly custom finished McLux's we have seen.
Any way the III PD is a fantastic light. I would never even think of selling it. It is no Beauty contest winner. It is a tool of the highest quality. That is all there is to it.
The chrome plated PD I saw the other day I thought was amazing. I wanted it.

[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Despite all this new and great technology IMHO the McLux-TK is still the one and only custom light ... it was the first on CPF, and it is still the best looking one.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif to the Skunklights Gang! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
bernie

[/ QUOTE ]

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yaesumofo ... sad to hear you got an unsatisfactory McLux-TK ... you're the first I hear saying so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif !
Of course I know everything is subjective ... it is just that this light that started it all on CPF will always have that special place in my ever diminishing collection.
Comlpetely agreed on the PD! It is a true winner!

Darell ... just for you ...

king.gif

bernie

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've thought of asking someone to mod my TK2003-041 to 3W. It'd would probably cost what I paid for it originally. It sits atop a tripod near my mouse and is used almost nightly for detail viewing of whatever little thing I'm fiddling with. Sometimes I take it out on the deck and shine it around only because I'm just weird enough to think that it likes to get out sometimes to unleash photons and become one with the universe.

I'm looking forward to the A19 Cree UV even more now. It's gorgeous.

I think an A2 with similar head would be nice. One with a McLux head with matching anodize would suit me right down to the ground.

I like the A1 and A3. I guess you might say I'm a fin fan.

--------------

- Jeff

Darell

Flashaholic
Jeff -

I'd offer to do the emitter swap for you, but oh MAN I don't like dealing with the epoxy bog that was used in those TK's. Ug. That process was a bit of a surprise, and does make the emitter swap a real bugger.