Poll: Twist Switch or Tail Switch or Side Switch?

Led preference:

• Total voters

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
To Fellow CPFrs

The Context is Flashlight.... Size 1AAA to 3 CR123, includes 1 AA and 2 AA, Rechargables also included, Dia of Rechargable Cell not exceeding that of C Cell and total Length of any flashlight not more than 2 AA Cell Light.

C & D Cell Lights are NOT being considered.

Twist Switch or Tail Switch or Side Switch
What would you prefer?

My Personal Preference is either a Twist Switch or a Tail Switch

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted tail because tactial means momentary/twist as far as i'm concerned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and also gives the option of a clicky so you pretty much cover 2 for 1 with that choice. Given your really WIDE array of lights that seemed the best. Wouldnt want to try a side switch on a 1-aaa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shane

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Poll: Twist Switch or Tail Switch or Side Swit

For a general use flashlight, I prefer the side switch: It is right there where you normally hold the flashlight.

If I am in an actual tactical situation, (pistol in one hand, light in the other), with a smallish size light, then, yeah, tailcap is better.

But I take out the trash at midnight much more often than I chase badguys anymore, so for average use, a side switch is just more convenient and comfortable for me.... Especially on anything larger than a 2X123.

NEVER liked a twisty. You need two hands to operate them unless you either practice a lot or are concentrating on the light, or just really coordinated. NOT good when the adrenaline is pumping.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Definately side switch - being the age i am, when someone approaches me or something like that, i just run like heck AWAY from them - not toward! besides, i just like side switches. i would kill for a li-on cub, but i dont have anything like the cash. i like tiny little lights with tail switches (easier to find/use on a tiny) and 2x123 and above lites with side switches. its all a matter of what size it is physically. For example, on an Arc4+, i like the tail switch. on a Stinger, the side switch is more useful - with larger lights, i carry them underhand (low down, hand on top) and with littler ones, overhand (high up, hand on bottom). Overhand the thumb usually whacks right into the tailswitch, underhand it falls on a side switch....

neg

moeman

Enlightened

For a pocket light twisty, because you have less chance of "accidental discharge".
For a duty or "tactical" light, i prefer the tailcap mounted switch.
chris

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i'm with MrB on the rational for the side switch... it's in the natural position to hold a flashlight... i nice twisty especially one that changes brightness while twisting is very nice.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I couldn't vote, I like a tail switch on a small one or two cell pocket light and a side switch on a larger flashlight. I don't care for a twisty cap because it takes both hands to operate, no easy momentary on/off.

Good Poll /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later
Kelly

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

i voted Side switch where my hand seems to be.
BUT
i will make provisions for the fact that a side switchs are adding excessive length to flashlights that could instead be holding more batteries.
SO
i will forgive you for putting a switch where no fingers on MY body end up, if you need to do that for compactness.

ALSO
any button that can trigger when just BUMPED , should have some way to keep that from happening.
like a electronic switching membrane switch , or any EASILY triggered switch , should be either protected, or have an auto off capacity or something. a dead flashlight is a useless thing, even if ya have to reach around to get to the switch.

Momentary should always occur when the switch is headed down the first time (not like spastic reverse clicking type things)

I still would like to see how anybody comfortably switches a tailcap on and off, when they have the flashlight at carry level, am i the only one who still doesnt have opposable thumbs? i mean look at the vote, do yous guys have 6 fingers or something?

the only way i see a tailcap being turned on when the light is headed in FRONT of you, is if your using COP-MODE, holding the light like the statue of liberty, blasting some poor soul in the face with it.