How to evaluate if a Luxeon 3W is not a fake

luigi

Enlightened
Hi all,
I posted this in the general forum but maybe it's better here. A local shop is selling a "pentagon luxeon 3W small flashlight" I think that running 2 AA. It comes in an all-white box so I'm 100% sure it's not a real Pentagon but a copy. What I do want to know is if that is really a luxeon 3W torch. Is there any way to test that? Anything I can look for? If you have any tips to test the torch at the shop and determine if the specs are real or not I'd be thankful.

Thanks for helping me!
Luigi

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I think the only way is to open the flashlight and see it if a real Lumiled's luxeon or a copy. I'm not sure if they would allow you to do that.

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I know that I wouldn't be able to tell if it was a clone or luxeon just by looking down into the bezel.

If you have the cash and time to play, pick it up. Be sure that you are very clear on their return policy.

There are hundreds of close up pictures of luxeons posted around, but the luxeons all have "Lumileds" stamped in white right on the front of the star where the emitter is. If the emitter is seperated from the star, you'll have to look at the leads where the emitter is connect to the power source.

Ok, sit tight I'll try to find some pics. BRB. . .

[EDIT] Alright, I couldn't find the pic I remembered where the clones leads were wider than lumileds', but I found a clone that loooks just like the real thing.

Funny, I don't see "lumileds" on the photo of the luxeon. I'm sure its there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif [/EDIT]