do ya think people will by this leds lights

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok there a very stupid mod not realy even a mod.till i get some leds i think are safe to go in them.(i dont trust the 26 mcds yet)i like the ones that are in there now though there pretty bright.all i did was paint them.but i painted them inside so they will retain there clor.i can do two color like in pic or one.lol this is stupid but i wonder if people whould be inteted in them i wasnt sure where to post this
ragcolors7yh.jpg

B@rt

Flashaholic
Definately a modded light. I moved it for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Looks nice rags! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thanks bart o let me add i dont paint the led itself lol a course i take all that stuff out first.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi rags, why not paint them with glow in the dark paint?

I have experimented with glow in the dark stickers but they don't stand up to heavy use so I stopped selling those. If you could paint the interior with glow paint, that would work much better, that is a GREAT idea actually. And I think people would buy it.

Give it a shot, it might work out. I have no plans to offer anything that glows in the near future so you go right ahead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i may try glow in the dark thats a good idea.for now i may stick with regeler colors since i already have them.but if i find glow in dark paint i can aford ill sure try that .would sure be cool.i aint even sure what colors i have yet darn raining so i can check my paints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard about people buying glow powder for a few dollars and then mixing it with a couple of dollars worth of clear nail polish to produce a good quantity of paint. Apparently it's just pour the powder into the nailpolish bottle, close and shake. Do a search for it, there's more info hiding somewhere.

Or someone hook raggie up with paint, I don't have anything other than the glowsheet..

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's even easier to coat the surface with polish and dust it with powder. I don't think glow would work well with the kc lights. What is going to charge it?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
is there places local that would sell good glow in dark paint?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The stuff that you can get in stores is usually the older zinc sulfide formula. They sell that stuff at places like Spencer's Gifts (most malls have a Spencer's). Some hobby shops also carry it.

The good stuff is available online. I think there's at least one CPF'er selling it...?

AndyB

Newly Enlightened
I've bought glow powder from http://www.readysetglo.com/ before and it's pretty good stuff. A little goes a long way. I've also bought some powder from Elektrolumen's wife at http://glowlady.com/Strontium_Aluminate/Glow_Powder.html Again this is the good stuff, Strontium Aluminate. I've used the green powder mixed with clear nail polish to make a paint that once charged is easily visible all night long.

-AndyB

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yeah, don't buy glow powder at the local craft store. I'm impressed with some glow-paint I got from Danny at glowinc.com I know they have glow powder too, but I haven't used it.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggz,
An interesting mod would be to paint these szwholesale white / semi clear keychain LEDs with glow powder paint. Try on the inside first.

I have put 26K mcd LEDs in a couple and they are awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, it is good to see you modding. You'll have fun.

I'd think you'd try one of the online places like the ones list above. Readsetglow and Glowlady both have nice glow powder. It doesn't take much powder to make a good glow. Green and blue glow last the longest. Green is the brightest and longest.

Paint a "gluing" coat, sprinkle glow powder then let the excess powder fall off. I might suggest one extra step. Coat or seal the powder after applying and drying. Glow powder doesn't like water (except for green) so sealing the powder with another coat of paint will let it glow for many years. I've sealed glow powder using Future Floor Polish.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I guess I'm a bit late but if you're after glow powder I'm happy to help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is there any way you can see Raggie of placing a 3mm LED facing inwards as well to charge the glow powder from inside the unit? I feel this would give you a better glow and make charging the powder a bit easier too. Only downside is the effect on the battery.

Another thing, it will depend on the original colour of the light's body as to how effective the final glow result will be. If they are clear bodies this will work the best. Coloured bodies will tend to filter out some of the 'oomph!' the glow powder provides. Some testing will quickly sort that out though.

May I make a suggestion?....

If you use the nail polish like Kevin wrote, it would be better to do a couple of thin coats rather than dust the outer layer of the polish due to the nature of the beast. GID powder needs light photons to activate it and if the surface area of available powder is small/thin, then you'll get a small/thin amount of powder to charge - giving consequently less glow potential.

The beauty of nail polish, for example, is that it allows the powder to be evenly(pretty much) distributed throughout the polish. This allows, after application in particular, more glow powder to be applied AS WELL AS more light to penetrate to charge the powder. MORE GLOW POTENTIAL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A 30% ratio of powder to medium is what I have been recommended with my powders.

I'll leave it there - I hope I was able to help a bit without being too over the top /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later & good luck Raggie!!

Tim.