Advice needed for microprocess. controlled charger

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I'm looking for a good microprocessor controlled NiMH/NiCd battery charger for C/D size batteries and battery packs (1-12 cells). I was thinking about the Triton charger. Any suggestions? For those already using a Triton what kind of power supply are you using? Any advice at where to buy this charger? Thanks.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Advice needed for microprocess. controlled cha

For entry level users (which I suspect you are far from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I recommend the Maha C777Plus2 for its fully automatic charging, lithium ion and pack capabilities, but I think you might appreciate the power of the Triton. I do, but I don't appreciate the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What I did for a 12V supply is assess whether my PC's current power supply was beefy enough to handle the extra load (350W or higher should be fine for all but the most demanding loads on your Triton), slice n splice some extra lines for sockets or in your case hardwire connections. Take a hard disk/CDROM connector, the yellow line is 12V and the black line is ground (use the black nearest the yellow).

PUT A FUSE IN IT. A 10-15A fuse should be more than enough. In an unrelated incident, a floppy disk drive (floppies are the work of the devil) shorted my 5V line directly to ground, sinking seventy amps through it - turning a 16AWG line into a brilliant orange glowing fuse that burned itself in half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Fortunately, the power supply itself survived and has not been causing any problems after I trimmed and cleaned up those burned lines. Later, I used the undamaged parts to provide a convenient connector to my 12V sockets..

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Advice needed for microprocess. controlled cha

Great idea to use a pc's power supply as the 12V supply of the Triton. Thanks Kevin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Any idea where to shop for the Triton? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif