Wall plugin LED emergency light for home?

SAKLED

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for an emergency LED light that can be plugged into a standard electrical wall-socket. You know, like some air freshners. Ideally, it would have multiple LEDs, both red and white, and a couple of switchs to select both the brightness level and which LEDs come on when the power goes out. Lastly, it would provide emergency lighting for at least 24 hours, hopefully for much longer on a low setting with the red LED(s). Does anyone make something like this already, or am I just wishing upon a star?

altoon

Newly Enlightened
AFAIK, the closest to these specs is the Tekplate. It's not a plug-in, but a replacement outlet cover with a built-in 4AAA, 5led amber light. It has a sensor that monitors the electromagnetic field around the wires. I've seen this advertised with a 48-hour runtime. Switch plate models are available in amber or red. I think the switch coverplate might be a better idea, as it will also mark the exit in an emergency.

There's also this upcoming power failure led light from Topcom. 3 power levels.

As far as I know, most led power failure lights are also nightlights. I've ordered these for use in the bathrooms in my house. As an aside, I've been using nightlights for the bathrooms for about a year, and the main bathroom lights are no longer left on all evening. I think the nightlights provide sufficient lighting for quick bathroom trips, and the main bathroom lights only get turned on when we're getting ready to go to work/school or go out.

ledmuseum has a review of a similar nightlight/flashlight/power failure light here .

The links above were selected for the pictures and info, not the best prices.

SAKLED

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the links. The Tekplate looks very cool. The Greenlite has a very attractive price of $9.99. I will look into both of them. Thank you very much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

altoon

Newly Enlightened
I think the Tekplate switch plate has it right for residential emergency lighting. Long runtime, multiple leds, located near the door.

One light I forgot to mention is the Energizer Super Charge rechargeable. This is a rechargeable flashlight with a power failure mode. Advertised runtime is 8 hours on high, 80 hours on low. This light will look like a cheap plastic flashlight plugged into the wall, so it might not be suitable for some rooms.

A couple of CPFers have this light, and you can read their comments here and here.

altoon

Newly Enlightened
One light is a Feit and the other is a Greenlite; both brands are carried by retailers other than Walgreens. I hate shopping so I don't know what's in the stores after the first 5 minutes. lol

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Picked up two of the regular night lights, couldn't find the emergency back up one. It says .43 amps! Isn't a normal small fixture bulb five?

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Anti_Candescent said:
Picked up two of the regular night lights, couldn't find the emergency back up one. It says .43 amps! Isn't a normal small fixture bulb five?

[/ QUOTE ]

.43 amps is about what a 40 watt bulb would take.

Something doesn't sound right!

Are you sure it doesn't say .43 watts?
Most nightlights are 4 watt. Which is about .033 amps.

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Oh yea,

I picked up a few of the power fail/night lights from Walgreens today.

Do the ones you guys have turn on automatically when you unplug it?

Mine don't.
If you turn the switch to on, it stays on if there is light on the sensor and also if you unplug it.

It just doesn't seem right to me.

If you have the switch to OFF, the bottom LED works like an automatic night light. If the switch is ON the bottom LED works the same but the top LED never shuts off.

Just wondering.

I will probably take them back if they work this way.