Upgradeability of small flashlights

StanTeate

Enlightened
I was thinking of the upgradeability of 123 cell and smaller flashlights with upcoming new leds. I am not a designer and I hope this is a good place for a suggestion. I was thinking of a wafer thin disc that sits on top of the PCB. Small posts on the side of the disc that faces the PCB fit into the + and -. On the side that faces the reflector, raised flat metal tabs with about 1mm clearance are placed such that the led may be placed on top and twist to slide into the 1mm clearance connecting the + and -. This setup would allow you to twist off the old led and twist on the new one. This small disc may be made so that it will work with several pcb designs. This design might add a few mm but make user upgrades much easier. I am curious if those that have expertise in pcb design might find this do-able. It would be really nice to be able to purchase a disc at some place like "the shoppe". Would you modders out there like to see something like this? Has it been done/suggested before?

Stan Teate

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I'd worry about here is the heat transfer - would this disk melt or retain heat? One of the reasons LEDs get potted onto their boards or into e-cans or similar is because of thermal transfer to the outer shell of the flashlight. Also, I'd see problems with trying to ensure good contact with the other board, and the whole 'twist in' capability of the module may be difficult to manage, though it's an interesting concept.