Nuwai Q3 On Order - Thoughts from other owners?

John_R

Newly Enlightened
I just couldn't stand the wait anymore (for the new Arc AAA) so I satisfied my flashlight craving by ordering a Nuwai Q3. I would really appreciate hearing from other Q3 owners about there experience with this light.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Re: Nuwai Q3 On Order - Thoughts from other owners

It's small, bright, you can mod it easily if desired, and it's availbale at low prices. It's a great light for the money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I really like mine. Lots of crisp white light for it's size. Order some of those $1.25 CR123 batteries from CountyComm to go with it because the one downside of the Q3 is that the battery dies without warning, and you're gonna pay six to eight bucks for one if you have to buy it at a retail store, Radio Shack or drugstore.

Oh, and it frequently gets that satisfying "WHAT is THAT?" reaction from others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve C

Enlightened

Great little pocket light. It is brilliant all out of proportion to its size. Mine has an absolute perfectly round beam with no artifacts. I bought it on a whim; curiousity more than anything else. It is now one of my two EDCs, replacing the A2 on my ankle.

The A2 isn't far from hand now, but it just was a bit too long for all-day comfortable wear. The Q3, being half the length, rides so well I forget it is there.

The A2 is still my favorite, but this Q3 has earned a spot just under it.

John_R

Newly Enlightened

I heard some negative comments about the clip not holding tight to the body, detracting from it's usefullness. Any comments on this?

sotyakr

Enlightened

A really nice, inexpensive light out of the box and, if you so desire, an even nicer light (depending on your luck with the "lottery") after replacing the emitter (actually, star) and reflector. Of course, there are a bunch of other mods out there, but I wanted to keep it simple (and the costs down).

I use a small pouch when I EDC it at work, so the clip thing has been a non-issue for me.

The_virus

Enlightened

The clip didn't seem that strong to me, it would work well for a thick fabric like canvas, but I'd recommend just using the carry pouch instead.

Once you have a CR123 light in your collection, it's like opening a whole different can of worms. You can forget about buying 123's at a local store since they charge highway robbery prices, you pretty much have to rely on internet sources (at least I certainly do) to get you 123's at a decent price. If you plan to use this light a lot, buy them ASAP so you won't have to take the hit and buy some "I need them NOW" 123's from your local retailer.

I was pleased with my Q3, but I do resent being forced to rely on the internet for an even halfway decent price on the batteries it uses. The situation is quite pathetic.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have imported and resold over 100 of them.
They do vary some in performance.
The best ones come with a nice SWOK bin 3 watt led in them that looks great!
Many come with a SX1K binned led that is anything from good and white with just a slight cyan tint, to bad and puke greenish tinted.

Krit

Enlightened

Right way for QIII. Small enaught and not too expensive. Put 2 stages switch and go on with multi propose use.

Luxman

Enlightened

I like my QIII very much!

Good looking, nice feel, good beam color, and great combination of throw and spill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Caution...start saving now...your going to want the 2 light level 2 cell version (TM-301X-3)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

Your going to love that Q3. I think it's at the top of the "best value" list for small single cell EDC's. You will never, ever regret buying one. If you plan on using the Q3 quite a bit then you may want to consider getting a Nano charger and one or two rechargeable CR123a batteries. The Nano charger and batteries can be had from other CPF members at rock bottom prices. if you wander through the Dealer's Corner section of CPF you can find them. The clip on my Q3 really grips the brim of a baseball cap well should you ever need to go hands free.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

over all good little light, clip sucks, and the lottery is DEFINATLY in play with this light. I strongly suggest upgrading the LED. and using rechargables (with one battery in back-up). I have given away a TX0H bin Q3 for a friend, aswell as a TX0H bin Q3 with POP2 to another CPF member that needed it more than I did and neither of them complained about the light. the beam is a great mix of the flood and beam.

Doug

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast

I too think it is the best bang for a buck light, it has more output then some of my other very costly lights.
My wife confiscated mine pretty quick, it tucks away in her purse discretly and that gives me peace of mind.
The battery issue was quicly resolved with a rechargable 123a, I couldn't imagine this hobby without those.

Steve C

Enlightened

Mine is carried by the clip on an ankle rig. I do have a velcro-ed safety strap, but the clip has remained snug through months of EDC; and that is on my ankle, where it gets bounced around a lot.

I remove it twice a week to clean off the dust bunnies, and check the clip each time for any sign of looseness, etc. So far, so good. I still cannot believe how fortunate I was with this particular one. It has the most perfectly round, uniform beam of ANY of the myriad of flashlights I've owned or handled.

I will be retiring before too much longer, and plan to scale down my EDC load-out. Instead of two guns, two knives, and two flashlights, I'll drop back to one of each. This Q3 will become a belt-carry EDC.

I'm still looking for the ideal belt carry pouch.

piper

Newly Enlightened

I love this light too. It was my first CR123 light and its output just blew me away. It still has that wow factor when I show it to people who have never seen a small bright white light.

A while back a fellow called streetluge began making adapter tubes for this light and since then I have been running it on 1 or 2 AA cells. The 2AA tube provides 99% of CR123 output for a much longer period and at a low price. The trade off is that the light is quite a bit larger. The happy medium that suits me is the single AA tube. It makes the light just a bit longer somewhat dimmer but perfect for my uses and extremely cheap to run. It always surprises me at how little light is actually needed in dark places.

This has to be a bargain of the decade luxeon light. I'm sure it will provide you with many years of good service and then you can mod it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Good luck, and use it well.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened

I bought two of them a couple weeks ago. One each for my wife and I. She rides the train and subway everyday and we agreed she should have a decent light. I like mine a lot. I carry either it or an E2E in my pocket now. The QIII is a bit smaller than the Surefire and not as bright. But the beam on mine is really nice. Im using a rechargeable from BatteryStation in mine. My wife likes hers a lot too. She and some coworkers had a going away party for someone at work and she was showing some people her light. I think they may be getting some more sales from what she said of the reaction. It is just a great buy for the money in my opinion.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a good little starter light - it's very small and compact, but it's definitely got a good beam and decent range for such a small light without being a tight spot like the Inova T-series lights.

djpark

Enlightened
It is a value-for-money light and I like it.

Since I have quite a few lights smaller than Q3, I can't say it is very small. But it is small enough to EDC for lots of light.

I have opened many Q3 for mods before. Some came with SY0K, some with SW0J. Just one of them came with Zetex chip soldered one side only rendering the light practically direct drive.

bad-q3-board.jpg

Despite this, I like Q3 because it is so versatile for mods with many options. You have to see 190 lumes red-orange Luxeon running on R123 at 1500mA.

q3-ro-action.jpg

-- dj