10 000 lumen bike in two days - BEAM SHOTS

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you thought my last project, 1400 lumen bike in 15 mins, was bright, this might appeal to you.

08060092.JPG

08070052.JPG

Using 4*35 watt MR16's, 2*(55+60) watt H4's and 2*55 watt H3's it sums up to 480 watt of 12 volt halogen power. At about 20 lumen/watt, we get almost 10 000 bulb lumen of light.

Using eight (8) 7 Ah SLA batteries the runtime is approximately 30 minutes without damaging the cells to much.

All beam shots are unfortunately indoor photos due to two days of constant, 24 hours/day, of hard rain. The H4's does not like water being dropped on them.

More photos can be found here

All comments are welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Makarov

Enlightened
Re: 10 000 lumen bike in two days

He he, another great writeup, looking through the pictures is recommended, although maybe not if your on a dialup... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know, I think those bulbs should be mounted on the rear of your bike.

Oh, wait. You're using them for LIGHTING, I wrongly assumed they were meant to propel the bike forward like jet engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

With that amount of light coming out, you might almost use it as such.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fantastic job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Thunder

Newly Enlightened

Nice work... but dont you think you will blind someone with your light?
I can see,accident coming when you drive it out @@"

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Oh, wait. You're using them for LIGHTING, I wrongly assumed they were meant to propel the bike forward like jet engines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We have not done any testing in that matter yet but it would be interesting to se if the protons shot out from the light increases the power needed to propel the bike. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Today it FINELY stopped raining and tonight I will add actual BEAM SHOTS everyone.

/Andreas

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:
Nice - now the next step - rain proof. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is a BIG issue.

The H4's will go proof immediately if they are stroke by rain. I even doubt they will last very long with both high and low beam on at the same time, especially with the light mounted vertically.
After just 3 or 4 seconds you could actually smell something burning/running very hot and our suspicions were confirmed by smelling the lamps. They where HOT.

The MR16's might survive some rain as they have double glass walls but I don't want to take any chances.

About the auxiliary lights, they are intended for use in rain and our 24 volt tape connections won't mind some water.

In the long run the batteries won't like being rained on but again, 24 volt is quite safe even with water splashing over them.

/Andreas

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Thunder said:
Nice work... but dont you think you will blind someone with your light?
I can see,accident coming when you drive it out @@"

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely!
However, this is a terrorist bike. (A terrorist bike has another meaning then terrorism (flying big planes into buildings and killing a lot of innocent people) and is not to be interpret word for word).
My friend is a local bike terrorist, feared by local pedestrians and motorists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

But, it has got circuit breakers so we can dip the headlights if needed.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work.

Gosh if I see that thing coming down the street I might think it's a UFO and run for my life.
"Too bright! I can't see."
"They're comming to get me!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/aaa.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

That's at least 10 kg of batteries. Are you sure you want to ride around with that load?

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
That's at least 10 kg of batteries. Are you sure you want to ride around with that load?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's more like 21 kg of batteries. The ride was more difficult but as Björn is a local bike daredevil with full front wheel skids all the time, it's no problem. Our intention was not to create a very useful bike, but a very bright one.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well,

Now that is some wacky stuff.

Wilkey

twentysixtwo

Enlightened

Have you considered mounting a HID Thor or such on the front end. Er, I guess, THREE HID thors!

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
twentysixtwo said:
Have you considered mounting a HID Thor or such on the front end. Er, I guess, THREE HID thors!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the logical next step is obviously HID. I was thinking about buying one of those but the overseas shipping cost made me think twice. Unfortunately, the rent needs to be paid and food isn't free either.

I have plenty of high pressure sodium lamps and some 400 watt metal halide as well that needs a home. Hot restrikeability and run-up time might be a problem with those on a bike. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif