Anyone tried the Surefire L2 bezel on the L1 body?

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Remember the TW4? KL4 on the E1e body.

Well, why not put the L2 bezel, on the L1 body? Has anyone tried it?

**CAUTION: DO NOT PUT THE L1 BEZEL ON THE L2 BODY!**

dc

Newly Enlightened
It wont do cos the L2 head is just a dummy emitter with no electronics in it, unlike the KL4/L4.

Rgrds,
Daniel

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Just tried it on a first generation L1 body, and the L2 bezel only lights up with the regulator. Doesn't light up at all, going through the resistor alone. There is no advantage, over the first generation L1, since they are both flood beams, and the output is very similar.

I don't have an opened fourth generation L1, to do this test. The L2 bezel probably will only light up in regulation, with the fourth generation L1 also, since the resistor has the same value. Should be a little brighter than the output on the first generation L1 body, and it would give you a flood beam, instead of the narrowly focused TIR optic beam of the fourth generation L1.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dc said:
It wont do cos the L2 head is just a dummy emitter with no electronics in it, unlike the KL4/L4.

Rgrds,
Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Daniel:

Both the L1 and L2 use dumb heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ice_wasp

Newly Enlightened
I think the L1's convertor can not provide enough current to the L2 head.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ice_wasp said:
I think the L1's convertor can not provide enough current to the L2 head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi ice_wasp:

The L1's regulator appears to have similar output to the low power regulator in the L2. The L2 has two regulators, low and high. Of course, the L1 regulator works on one 123A cell, instead of the two 123A cells used by the L2 regulators, so the runtime would be shorter, using the L1 body. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone tried the Surefire L2 bezel on the L1 b

Don't forget that the L2's LuxV has different voltage requirements, which means that you're going to be stuck with 'low power' due to the regulator in the L1 only being able to supply a trickle of what the L2 requires.

At least you tried it, oldgrandpa, and now we know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nvm, I am REALLY stupid for asking that....

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
Don't forget that the L2's LuxV has different voltage requirements, which means that you're going to be stuck with 'low power' due to the regulator in the L1 only being able to supply a trickle of what the L2 requires.

At least you tried it, oldgrandpa, and now we know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Haesslich:

Knew the L1' regulator wouldn't drive the L2 bezel to the Luxeon V's full output. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Output is similar to the output of the first generation L1 on high, or the L2 on low. So it does work as I was hoping, except there is only one level of output.

Should have known, it wouldn't work through the resistor alone. Just didn't think it through. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif