LED Night Lights

TorchMan

Enlightened
I ordered the Saucer Light Washer and some Louver Lights from Glowbug. It took a couple weeks to get them, as the Louver Lights were on backorder. When they finally received them, it took only two days to get.

The Louver Lights are really great. Auto on, the louvers control angle and brightness and make coming into my dark home a breeze, even with my hands full. Perfect amount of white light.

The light washer is pretty cool. It has six LED's, and by combining the colors of them can pretty much make the rainbow. Tons of options with it too, including dialing in the steady color of your choice.

In a dark room it even washes the ceiling around it with mood light. I needed night lights anyway, and I think these types will become more prevelent. Should be cheap to run, too.

Any here into this? I know I saw some threads on Chinese ones a while back, I think it was here.

Oops, I shoulda put this in General Lighting. My bad. D'oh!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Walmart and Target both carry some LED night lights. I even found at Walmart something similar to the light washer that gives a color wash or steady colors. I think it was actually made by Emerson.

Geoff

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
TorchBoy, you got a link of where to get them please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My roommate got a pair of the target white LED with sensor LED lights and they are generally not bright enough to see much unless your night vision is completely working. They like some neon versions are mostly good at markers to guide you. I replaced both of his LED nightlights with fluorescent lights. I got a 1.6watt fluoro with sensor and it is about as bright as a 7 watt incan and sits above the answering machine and a caller ID box and you can read both with it at night. I would say about 4-6 LEDs would probably work well enough for a big room or hallway but some LED nightlight designs just are wimpy and cannot take advantage of ceiling bounce to light a room.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Lynx_Arc,

My Louver lights do not have enough ceiling bounce really, unless you tilt the louvers up, then they seem to. Hard to know what your preference is, and I've not seen other lights in person, only pictures. I have one in the living room, one in the dining room and one in the kitchen. I can move around quite well coming in from outside, and my street is well lit with sodium vapor lights. There is definitely a "marker" type thing going on though until my eyes really adjust. For walking to the bathroom out of bed, they are great as well. It's also a cheaper way to give my two cats some light in the house.

The LightWasher has a mode with all LEDs on (blue, red, yellow, two each) and you can dim it. It just doesn't have the auto on feature that my Louvers do, but they are true night lights and the LightWasher is probably more accent. I really had fun with it last night, put it slow steady change and watched the colors blend ever so slowly! I'm also into quick shining my U60 on the Louvers to see how much light turns them off and on!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the leviton model white LED nightlights and it easily puts out as much light as a 4watt nighlight bulb. It's white and not yellowish though which can take some getting used to, it's like moonlight in the bathroom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like it and I like that it doesn't use any power. My wife used to really like nightlights, she had half a dozen of them around the house. Dont need to many anymore, and the ones we do have are LED's.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Torchman, the neighborhood is fairly well lit here and the window blinds are cheap and let just enough light though to light them up more than the rest of the house so unless it is nearly pitch dark the single LED nightlight with its plastic diffuser is way underpowered. Add to that dark brown carpet and putting one in the wall socket it doesn't bounce off anything. If we had a lighter color of carpet it may be useful but you need more output when you have dark color interiors sucking light up like a black hole.

TorchMan

Enlightened
The Louvers have two LEDs, and bouncing off my light carpet and walls is fine for them. Flourescent light is something I've long hated. Severe eye strain and headaches come with that territory. I think it's because florescents actuall blink at approx. 15 times per second, just about fast enough for the human eye to perceive as steady, but the brain still know. That and spectrum emitted. I might get more LightWashers or LightOrbs, I'm just running out of power jacks in the walls.

Hmm, Leviton huh? I'll have to do a search on that and Emerson. Thanks to all for the info and comments.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
two LEDs is twice one LED and does make a difference. I think perhaps the first LED nightlights used only one cheap 8000mcd LED and newer ones may be using 2-4 10,000-12,000mcd LEDs which would make a dramatic difference for sure.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, my favorite LED nightlight is the one that Walgreens sells for $3.99. Nice and bright and pretty white. I had some other ones that changed colors but they both quit working after a few months.