Why do father keep flashlight by his bedside ?

firefly99

Enlightened
My father had been keeping a flashlight in a drawer by his bed. His collection grew over time. Just found out the reason, to look at the clock when he woke up at night.

Seem keeping a flashlight is a very common habit.
Does your DAD had such a habit ?

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
I'm a dad and I keep my SL-20 under my bed and the 6P in my night stand. Just in case. The SL-20 can be used as a weapon if needed. But for practical applications, it's too bright. That's where the 6P comes in. Checking on something, power outage, whatever.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Why do father keep flashlight by his bedside

I have a light to check a small caller ID box so when I get a call when I am asleep I can decide if it is worth completely waking up to answer it or call back later. I have a large LED display alarm clock on top of the tv set on the other side of the room which doesn't need a flashlight to see.

Darell

Flashaholic

I'm the dad in the family, and in the drawer I have an LED pen for writing down those brilliant ideas that come to me in the middle of the night (the ones I can't read in the morning anyway, but it makes me sleep better knowing I've written something down!) but ON the stand I have a couple of serious throwers so I can see the yard from the upstairs windows.

Dang. Was that all one sentence?

Why do I have flashlights by the bed? Because I can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Honestly, I have no idea if my dad has or ever had a flashlight in his nightstand drawer. I know he has the ones I've given him nearby though.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

I'm a Dad too and I keep most of my lights in a drawer by my bed. I usually use an Arc AAA for manouvres at night around the house but can call on much brighter lights if need be.

I dont remember my Dad as he was never around, but no one else in the family ever seemed to have flashlights when you needed one!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

My dad always had a flashlight by his bedside. I'm a dad and I've picked up on that too. As a man who was a police officer and then a volunteer firefighter, he's learned and passed to his children that a flashlight can be a very valuable life saving tool in an emergency.

sld

Newly Enlightened

My Dad kept his 2D Ray-O-Vac in the drawer. This was before the days of LED's or even M*glights. And if you borrowed it you had better put it back!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not a Dad, but I keep a flashlight (or two or three!) by the bedside. Mostly so that when I get up in the night I can see better. My own Dad never did this, I don't think.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

The bedroom is usually where you are when it is dark and all the lights are out. It makes sense to have a light source within easy reach of the bed. Dads are the protectors of the home as well as the fix-it men. I think a flashlight by the bed can be a sign of a really good dad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

davidra

Enlightened

This dad has an A2 with red LEDs next to his bed. Rarely need the incan, but sometimes when my son decides to come in and wake us up, usually to get some money for a late night excursion, he gets the full regulated pain. He is starting college in a month, so my batteries will last longer.

marcspar

Enlightened

My dad has "only" an arc aa that I gave him for a present.

There are four lights on MY night table and a couple more in the drawer:

4D mag based inretech tri-light
3D mag based mr bulk ddd
surefire "error light" (2xr123 w/dd 5w)
arc 4+ w/ hds made tailcap

uk light canon hid
mathmos softlight

Marc

pradeep1

Enlightened

My father keeps a Maglite solitaire, Maglite 2-AAA mini-mag, and an assortment of keychain lights beside his bed. He uses them at night to write down notes when a bright idea pops up in his head. I thought it was funny growing up, but now, I do something similar.

I keep a small 1 W Luxeon 3-AA flashlight next to my bed, mainly for safety.

nethiker

Enlightened

I don't think my dad ever kept a light next to the bed. I have one now because I was tired of tripping over the dog in the middle of the night.

matthewdanger

Enlightened

I'm not a dad yet, but I keep a lights next to the bed. I have really been enjoying having a PALight next tot he bed. It's "off" mode where the LED glows faintly makes it easy to find. There is also a lot of comfort in having a Surefire L5 (next a Glock 23) within reach of the bed.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Been doing this since before I was a Dad, but I keep an Infinity Ultra in my night stand along with a Legend LX. Not much further my VIP is on my dresser along with several other lights to distribute as needed.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I've got a bunch of lights by the bed, but that's just where I park them. Night lights serve the bedroom and bathroom.

Geoff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

as leukos said, most of the time I"m in bed it's fairly dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I'm a dad and am still in the portion of dadhood with my second child that we have to get up and make bottles in the middle of the night sometimes. Though hopefully he'll be over that soon...

So on my bedside I have:

An original ArcAAA, an infinity AA, a nuwai .5 watt 2AAA, a mini-mag with an opalec adaptor, a second mini-mag with a BB500, an Inova X5, an Inova T3 (I think...) An electrolumens 2D blaster, a Mag 2D with 6AA's and a 5D lamp in it for some overdriven through /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif a nuwai QIII with r123 in it, and a nuwai 5 watt 2 cr123 light and an original Arc LS with the 2AA battery pack on it at the moment. And thats just from memory, I'm sure if I go down there and look there will be something else I forgot. Not to mention a couple of led array mods in various bodies on the dresser and at this particular moment there is an 8D coleman lantern under the bedside table as we were having a spectacular thunderstorm the other night and I wanted to be prepared if the lights went out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif guess all the other lights didn't count as being prepared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife just has my 2003 CPF edition arcAAA at the moment on her side, my daughter has a brand new orange DorcyAAA that hangs over her bed knob that she's happy with as well as a "tap light" that I modded with 2 LED's so the batteries have only needed to be changed 3 times in the last three years even though she regularly falls asleep reading and leaves it on until I come in to check on her in the morning (she just turned 5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) My son isn't quite a year old yet and so he doesn't really use the flashlights yet, though when he was younger I did let him help me test the o-rings against baby spit, which is a very slippery substance. He'd still be happy to do that, but to listen to the HAIII scratch his new teeth is more than I can handle, so I don't let him eat them anymore. But there are still several in his room for nighttime duties. I think another infinity AA and a dorcy single LED 3AAA light. In the bathroom right now is my 3AA long gun illuminator and a combo led/xenon/CCF light... several more elsewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And LOTS of batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened

You don't have to be a dad, although I am, (8 month old twins), but a flashlight or two by the bed is always going to give you some peace of mind, whether you use them or not.

On my nightstand, I have a Krill light (180 extreme green), Surefire E1e, Nuwai 3W LED).

On the floor, I usually have a Surefire 8AX and M3 (225 lamp), so all options are kinda covered.

In honesty, I tend to use the E1e most around the house at night when the lights are off, as the beam can be 'hidden' by wrapping a finger over the lens to allow a crack of light when I check on my babies. Krill lights are good, but not as everyday useful as my E1e.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always empty my pocket and put my TnC N cell Proto on it's "spot" by my bed (on it's own elephant pillow. my wife collects elephants), along with my LionHeart. I am always getting up with one of them to get the baby or to light the hall for my 4 year old to go potty. couldn't live without a light by my bed.

doug