NEW? Costco Coast 'Tac Torch' 3xAAA luxeon $29

Deanster

Enlightened
NEW? Costco Coast \'Tac Torch\' 3xAAA luxeon $29

Hi all -

I was wandering the aisles of my local Costco (Bitter Lake, just north of Seattle), and found this little puppy priced for $29.

'Coast LedLenser TacTorch' - packaging claims a 1.25watt LED, and attempts to make a big deal of 'Certified 117.6mw' rating, noting that this is the independently tested output at 12 inches over an area of 1 square centimeter.

Package contains the light with one set of 3 AAA's installed in a battery tray inside the light, another set of AAA's, a nylon sheath of moderate quality, a low quality wrist lanyard, and smallish keychain-style carabiner clip.

The light itself is essentially identical in size and shape to an INOVA T1 - it's perhaps a 1/4 inch shorter than the T1, and diameter of the tubes at the front end is identical, as far as I can tell.

Quality is visibly lower than INOVA's - the T1's very cool checkered grip is flush with the tube, where the TacTorch has raised knurling, the switch is hard plastic compared to the T1's rubber, the threads are rougher, the finish is 'slicker' and feels softer, and in general, the TacTorch feels less 'tanklike'.

All that said, the quality of the TacTorch is pretty decent. My complaints above reflect more the outstanding quality of the INOVA, rather than specific problems with the TacTorch.

Down to business - with the packaged AAA's in it, the TacTorch provides a lovely hotspot and nice, solid corona - though it uses an optic, the beam looks like the best of reflectored LED beams - much like a JIL light. It's visibly brighter than a T1, and perhaps most importantly, has a useful corona, addressing the greatest failing of the T1. Color appears nice and white, perhaps a touch of purple, no hint of green at all.

I'll post pics in a bit, but this seems like a pretty decent little light. If you like the T1 form factor, but don't like the beam, this one's for you. While it beats the T1 in many ways, I think that's more because the T1 is remarkably huge for a 1x123 light.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Re: NEW? Costco Coast \'Tac Torch\' 3xAAA luxeon $29

[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:

I'll post pics in a bit, but this seems like a pretty decent little light....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Deanster,

Thanks for the heads up. Been to a coupla Costco's but no luck. Am interested, cuz kinda like the Inovas.
Been watching this thread. With that said...

GotPix.GIF

Danno

saunterer

Newly Enlightened

Anyone else bought one of these?

They've been in my Costco (Lenexa, KS) for about 3 months now, and I just can't find it in myself to try one out. Too many new LED lights coming out too quick. Can't afford to buy them all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if the "Crystal reflector tube system" is actually crystal. If so it might work well with UV because, as Newbie points out, acrylic attenuates (absorbs thereby weakening) UV.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I have one sounds like its the same but mossy oak break up pattern.
1110642865_927736cacp.jpg

The lens is definetly not crystal, mine has scratches on it, probably acryllic. I agree, this is an impressive led to run off of AAA's.

I am no expert, but it seems to be as bright as my U2 when its on its 2nd brightest section (U2 has way more flood however). I agree very white with a hint of blue.

Camo_Tac.jpg

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened

PoliceScannerMan,

The Mossy Oak on that light looks great, but I would be afraid that if I dropped it in a wooded area, I might never find it again...

Racer X

Deanster

Enlightened
Thanks for the photos, guys.

I'm mightily surprised to admit that this light has become my primary EDC bag light, displacing my Inova T1. It's got a near-perfect (IMHO) combination of throw and spill. It essentially shares a form factor with the Inova T1, has as much throw as that light, but with the spill that the T1 lacks, and which makes the T1 much less useful than it ought to be.

Add in the commonly available and cheap AAA's, the fact that if I lost or damaged it, I wouldn't have to cry, and the light is a huge winner for me. I still need to test water-resistance - if it can't handle a dunking, it won't be my EDC for long.

I don't LIKE it as much as my Inovas or Surefires, and it doesn't have that feeling of bomb-proof quality (at all - the battery carrier is pretty shoddy looking, but still solid), but it is a MIGHTY useful little light. At $29 - I don't think it can be beat.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a camo tac torch

Could not get the head off to look inside.

Anyone ever modify one of these things. My brother has one one and his is nice and white. My led is very greenish. Needs a TWOJ maybe.

Anyone know about circuit in this light. Buck/Boost. 3AAA battery holder 4.4v

The light has a very nice wide beam.

I am going to try and heat it up and get the head off and see whats inside.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the 3xAAA lights are very bright. The Sam's Element (which I think is the same as the Dorcy 3xAAA that had the flashing beacon setting, but without the flashing option) is MUCH brighter than the Dorcy Metal Gear. I think the Sam's is totally direct drive while the Metal Gear is resistored.

Those Sam's lights are very impressive for the price... $13 each!

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I have this light for about six months now. I find the battery life on nimh not very good at all. I haven't done an actualy run time, but it feels like it only has 30 minutes at high brightness until.... low beam comes in.

Its also not regulated.....

I'm looking to replace this light with my fenix or xnova 8...